Make This DIY Pom-Pom Vest for All Your Ugly Sweater Parties
Guys, I am obsessed with pom-poms. If I see something with pom-poms in a store, I feel like I have to have it. Whether it be keychains, blankets or even hair accessories, I want those little fluffy guys on everything. I bought this Clover Pom-Pom Maker ($6) a few months ago, and man, has it changed my life. Now I actually have the ability to pom everything in sight! Today I decided to go big or go home and make this extra fabulous, crazy pom-pom vest. This vest will be the star of every ugly sweater party ever, but to be honest, I would definitely wear it in a non-ironic way. Anyone with me?
Materials + Tools:
1. First, make all the pom-poms. Wrap yarn around one-half of the pom-pom maker. Incorporate other colors if desired. Wrap yarn around until the pom-pom maker is very full.
2. Wrap the other half of the pom-pom maker with yarn until very full.
3. With the maker closed, snip through the rounded part of the yarn.
4. Take a strand of yarn and tie a very tight knot in the middle of the pom-pom maker. The tighter the better!
5. Open the maker. Trim the pom-pom to form a nice, compact sphere.
6. Arrange the poms on the vest. Glue on.
Is your Netflix queue fully stocked? Good! You’re ready to make all the poms! Wrap yarn around one-half of the pom-pom maker. Incorporate other colors if desired. Wrap yarn around until the pom-pom maker is very full. Wrap the other half of the maker with yarn until very full.
With the pom-pom maker closed, snip through the rounded part of the yarn. Take a strand of yarn and tie a very tight knot in the middle of the pom-pom maker. The tighter the better!
Open the maker. Out should pop a very hairy pom-pom!
Trim the pom to form a nice, compact sphere.
Oh my gosh, so many poms!
Arrange the poms on the vest. Glue on. I made patches of little pom-poms to break up the giant fuzziness of the big pom-poms.
You. Are. Fabulous.
Get it, girl.
It’s like wearing a blanket!
FYI, you’ll get VERY warm in this vest.
I just had to share this shot of all the yarn scraps. This box is 2 x 1-feet long and I legit filled it with scraps. I want to use it for a DIY, but I can’t think of one just yet… let me know if you have an idea!
Feel free to repurpose this vest as a rug after your ugly sweater party. My feelings will not be hurt.
What will you make with pom-poms? Show us by tagging us on Instagram + using the hashtag #britstagram!
DIY Production and Styling: Irene Lee
Photography: Brittany Griffin