19 DIY Holiday Decorations You’ll Never Guess Started With a Trip to the Dollar Store
A dollar store might be the last place you’d think to go shopping for holiday decorations. It’s much more fun to ogle over the tasseled and pommed decorations at more stylish home stores. Then you pick up a $75 candle and realize that maybe you don’t want to spend your entire budget on one item. Fortunately, you don’t need to drop a lot of dough to have a festive home — you just need creativity and a few inexpensive items. From wreaths to magical winter villages, here are 19 holiday DIY projects that won’t break (or even dent) the bank.
1. Glitter Mason Jar Luminary: Not expecting snow this year? Make your own! Paint plain vases or Mason jars with red paint and a dusting of faux snow for a classic centerpiece. (via A Pumpkin & A Princess)
4. Frosted Candles: Use stickers and spray glass frosting to make this super easy DIY. Group a whole bunch of them together for a themed centerpiece, or gift them away to fellow candle-lovers. (via Visual Meringue)
5. Printable Advent Calendar: Get into the holiday spirit with an advent calendar. Hide a little surprise gift in a few (or all) of the houses to open as each December day passes. Kick off the month with yummy peppermint treats and work your way through the countdown with cute little wintry trinkets, like a mini glitter nail polish sample or an ornament, depending on the recipient. (via Brit + Co)
7. Glowing Snowflake Wreath: Pick up a variety of snowflake ornaments and layer them to make a snowy wreath. Add string lights behind the frosty snowflakes to make the wreath glow at night. (via Design Improvised)
9. Tiny Upcycled Wreaths: Pick up a bag of plastic shower rings at the dollar store and make a bunch of these mini wreaths. Hang them together as a garland or use them to decorate all those carefully chosen gifts. (via Creative Green Living)
10. Colorful Pom Pom Trees: Stock up on a few bags of pompoms, because once you start making these cheery trees, you won’t be able to stop. And then you can use the rest of the pompoms while you’re gift wrapping. (via David Stark)
18. Monogrammed Tree Topper and Geometric Garland: Lay claim to that treetop with this DIY monogram and matching garland set. Whether you use your first initial, last initial or just a random letter of the alphabet (X marks the spot), Santa will appreciate the originality behind this fresh look. (via Brit + Co)
19. Paper Holiday Tree: Wanted: a colorfully decked-out tree for the holiday season — pine needles need not apply. This DIY can be tailored to match, complement or boost any existing decor in your home. Bonus: It’s no muss, no fuss since there won’t be any pesky pine needles to vacuum. (via Brit + Co)
What holiday decorations have you made from dollar store supplies? Tell us what you’re crafting in the comments below!