10 Tiny Everyday Indulgences That Can Boost Your Mental Health
When it comes to our mental health, surroundings matter, and it’s stunning just how much joy the little things can bring. If you’ve ever gifted yourself with a cute new coffee mug or a bouquet of fresh flowers “just because,” you know how meaningful small changes to your space can be. In fact, research shows that an uplifting, inspiring physical environment can have major positive impact on our mental health.
There are plenty of easy ways to incorporate beauty to boost your well-being. And doing so doesn’t have to cost much (or, in some cases, anything at all). Here are 10 tiny indulgences that can vastly improve your surroundings — without breaking the bank.
1. Scented Soap: Is it just us, or is there something about blandly scented soap that just screams “public bathroom”? At home, most of us would rather feel like we’re at a sumptuous spa than the Walmart ladies’ room. For a better hand-washing experience, grace your kitchen or bathroom sink with a pretty bottle of soap scented with your favorite fragrance.
2. Fresh Flowers: Don’t underestimate the power of a beautiful bouquet — not to mention the refreshing scent — on your dining room table or in your entryway. And you don’t have to drop a ton of cash for this sensory upgrade, either. Grab a bunch of your fave blooms on your weekly grocery run. You won’t regret it.
3. Phone Wallpaper: The average American checks their phone 80 times a day. That’s a lot of looking at whatever image underlies your icons, making it a prime opportunity to view something pleasant. Next time you change your wallpaper, choose mindfully. What type of image truly makes you happy?
4. Art Prints: It’s obvious that art can beautify a space, but it may seem financially out of reach. There’s no need to plunk down big bucks for one-of-a-kind pieces, though. When you find art that speaks to you, a printed reproduction can bring just as much inspiration as the real thing. For your daily viewing pleasure, choose a print of a painting you’ve always admired for display in your home or workplace.
5. Cloth Napkins: Paper napkins may be practical, but they can’t compare to a luxe-looking fabric laid in your lap. Invest in a set of cloth napkins with an attractive print. You’ll have a feast for the eyes at breakfast, lunch, and dinner (and be prepared when company comes over).
6. Fresh Fruits and Vegetables: Fresh fruits and vegetables are a lovely little indulgence that boosts your physical as well as mental health. Keep them in an easily accessible spot, like in an attractive basket on your countertop, or store them in clear containers in the fridge. (Studies show keeping healthy foods visible makes you more likely to eat them.)
7. Music: Music could be the easiest way to fill your day with beauty. On your smartphone, you have a world of sound at your fingertips — you just might not always remember to use it. A $10/month Spotify subscription allows you to search from thousands of playlists to find whatever songs soothe your spirit. Or, for a cost-free option, check out an ambient playlist on YouTube.
8. Candles:Candles aren’t just a clichéd gift for your mother-in-law. Candlelight sets a peaceful (or romantic) mood and fills your home with fragrance. Plus, when you select one in a cool color or pattern, you add interest to your décor. Not bad for $10 or so.
9. Pretty Dishes: Ever heard the phrase, “Life is short, use the good china”? It may have begun as a marketing ploy from the good china salespeople, but there’s wisdom in bringing the extravagant to the everyday. If you don’t have a set of fine china, choose one delicate mug to use for tea, or designate a set of gorgeous plates just for desserts.
10. Water Bottle: It’s probably safe to assume you drink water every day. As you work through your eight cups, why not do so in an aesthetically pleasing way? Make an attractive water bottle your go-to for bringing to work or the gym. It may even motivate you to stay hydrated.
How do you get your daily dose of beauty? Tweet us at @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Photo via Getty)
Pocket doors are so delightful in and of themselves. They appear when you need them, get tucked away when you don't, and make it easy to define rooms while keeping an open floor plan. Add to the pocket door a joyful patterned wallpaper surprise, and you will be sent right into fits of visual jubilation! Or something ;) Today we're sharing two simple and impactful pocket door makeovers that zhuzh up your space in a jiffy.
Anjelika Temple here, co-founder of Brit + Co and proud owner of several pocket doors! When I moved into my first real grown-up house a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate wallpaper so reached out to our friends at Chasing Paper to see how we might collaborate. It felt like a total lightbulb moment when I realized I could create a surprise pop of pattern on a couple sets of pocket doors.
Not only is it a whimsical way to bring color into a space, but the doors double as picture-perfect backdrops for all your SFH (selfies from home, obvs).
A few pro tips about install:
- Removable wallpaper is miraculously forgiving! You can take it on and off multiple times without it losing integrity (or mucking up your surface).
- I ordered this adhesive wallpaper installation kit with a squeegee and xacto knife and it worked super well. I also recommend a sharp pair of scissors for cutting longer lines.
- This is a two-person job! Get a friend, put on a playlist, and get ready to bond.
- Wild, organic patterns like Tally are great because it's challenging to spot any imperfections in pattern alignment; keep pattern choice in mind if you've got a lot of corners to match up. More geometric patterns and larger shapes leave less room for error (but are awesome in their own right!).
BATHROOM POCKET DOORS
In our primary bathroom, we chose the wallpaper pattern Tally, designed by Kelly Ventura, in White and Navy. In our space, the navy reads as a soft black, which is perfect for the space. It's easy to combine an ever-rotating collection of linens with the Tally pattern.
I love how the white trim becomes the perfect frame around this pocket door piece of art.
My favorite moment in this space is the fact that you actually get a third pop of pattern thanks to our serendipitously placed mirror!
And yes, this one works pretty darn well as a backdrop too ;)
LIVING ROOM DOUBLE DOORS
This set of doors is definitely a focal point of our home. It separates our living room from our primary bedroom which opens onto our backyard. The doors are pretty much always open, but when they're closed we wanted to evoke a fun, nature-inspired vibe. With that in mind, we selected the Lines and Moons pattern by Thimblepress in Green and Brown.
Earth mama vibes up in here! I love how the shapes and colors echo the ferns you see through the windows and the acorn wood details throughout the house.
Love this pattern moment, and xacto-ing out the door handle is def on the oddly satisfying DIY list.
For a pattern lover like me, I love that now I have this instant photo backdrop!
Thanks to Chasing Paper for providing these rolls of pure pattern amazingness. Head to chasingpaper.com to find our own favorites and start adding patterns to your home!
(Wallpaper wingwoman: Kayla Haykin; Photography: Kurt Andre)