Go Carb-Free (but Keep the Flavor) With This Everything Bagel Frittata
There was a period in my life when I ate an everything bagel egg sandwich every day. I frequented the coffee cart on my street so often, the guy working there would practically have them waiting for me. He’d always hand me my order with a serving of serious side-eye, but any embarrassment I felt would melt away as soon as I took that first magnificent bite. Despite my greasy breakfast habit, it wasn’t until years later that I had the idea for an everything-bagel-flavored frittata.
When it came to me, I felt like Raven Symoné having a vision. How could I not have thought of it sooner, especially since I’d spent all that time munching on egg and everything bagel sandwiches? Eggs with everything seasoning, plenty of cream cheese, and caramelized onions for good measure — there was no way that wouldn’t taste good. I’m not usually big on Frankenfoods, but this idea was one I could definitely get behind.
This recipe came together so easily, I have to believe it was destined to be. Caramelizing the onions takes a little while (about half an hour), but after you’ve done that the rest is easier than your average omelet. One thing about everything bagels that I don’t love is the occasional inclusion of caraway or fennel seeds. I’ve left them out of this recipe, but if you can’t imagine an everything bagel without them, then by all means add a teaspoon or two. Make it for your brunch crowd if you want to blow their minds, or make it for yourself when you’re having a mad craving for an egg and everything bagel sandwich.
Everything Frittata RECIPE
From Audrey Bruno, Brit + Co
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon dried onions
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup cream cheese, divided
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- chopped scallions, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Over medium heat, melt butter in an 8- or 10-inch non-stick skillet and add onions, stirring to coat. Stir every 5 minutes until caramelized, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a plate and wipe skillet clean.
- Meanwhile, combine dried onions, poppy seeds, black sesame seeds, white sesame seeds, and flaky sea salt in a small bowl. Set aside everything seasoning.
- Whisk eggs, 1/2 cup cream cheese, and half of everything seasoning until thoroughly combined. Over medium-high heat, coat the same 8- or 10-inch skillet in olive oil. Add half of reserved caramelized onions and stir into eggs. Cook until edges are set and eggs are slightly scrambled but still runny, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and top with remaining caramelized onions and everything seasoning and dollop with remaining cream cheese.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake until eggs are puffed up and slightly brown on top, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and garnish with scallions if desired.
Want more killer breakfast recipes? Follow us on Pinterest!
(Photos via Audrey Bruno / Brit + Co)