There’s a reason why pumpkin spice lattes start rearing their glorious heads at the end of the summer instead of waiting for true autumn to set in. It’s because we, the people, demand it. No matter how much we indulge in icy mojito cocktails or eat stone fruits with our dinner, by the time August rolls around, we’re all craving pumpkin, apple cider, and cinnamon. Thankfully, it’s just as easy to summer-ify a fall dish as it is to winterize a salad. Just take your favorite autumn ingredients, add some ice, and BOOM! Your craving is sated. These 15 cool recipes will give you just a taste of that October chill, helping you ride out the last heat waves of summer feeling utterly refreshed.
2. Frozen Wild Blueberry Hot Chocolate: Move over, strawberries, because it’s time for blueberries and chocolate to have their time in the spotlight. They make this frozen drink all kinds of sweet, fruity, and earthy — just don’t forget the brûléed marshmallow on top. (via Jenny Shearawn)
3. Maple Vanilla Cinnamon Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches: The ice cream is a no-churn blend of Greek yogurt and bananas, and the waffles are store-bought, so you can spend more time eating your snack than you do making it. (via A Million Moments)
4. Apple Cider Slushies: It’s hard not to love a slushie when it’s hot outside, especially one that’s free of artificial flavors and colors. This one is made from apple cider, giving you sweet-tart refreshment with each sip. (via The Lovely Life)
5. Butterbeer Ice Cream Sandwiches: Homemade butterscotch ice cream is sandwiched between two shortbread cookies to make this icy treat. You can bet Harry Potter and his friends would be all over these during their summer vacations. (via Cherry Tea Cakes)
6. Vegan Apple Pie Bliss Balls: Apples and cinnamon make these tasty bites the first thing you’ll reach for in the morning. They’re sweetened with dates and just a touch of maple syrup, so they won’t leave you with a sugar crash later in the day. (via Rise Shine Cook)
7. Pumpkin Spice Latte Popsicles: These pops will give you the caffeine fix you need and the pumpkin flavor you crave, all in one go. Espresso powder gives them a hit of bold flavor. (via Sheri Silver)
8. Apple Cider Ice Cream Floats: Instead of pairing sweet ice cream with equally sweet soda, try sparkling apple cider instead. It’s just tart enough to balance the flavors in each sip (or spoonful) of your float. (via Amy Sheree)
9. Pumpkin Cinnamon Ripple Ice Cream Pie: When you’re feeling festive in the summer, you’ve got to go with an ice cream pie. Drizzled with salted caramel sauce, this pumpkin cinnamon masterpiece is worthy of a celebration in and of itself. (via Boulder Locavore)
11. Roasted Pumpkin Hummus: Smooth, creamy pumpkin hummus lends itself to all kinds of dipping. You can also use it as a sandwich spread, where its subtle sweetness works well with savory ingredients like smoked turkey and bacon. (via Purple Cinnamon)
12. Apple and Caramelized Salted Nuts Ice Cream: An easy homemade apple sauce is folded into this rich sweet-cream ice cream. Salted roasted nuts add a little crunch to your cone. (via The Candid Kitchen)
13. Vegan Pumpkin Froyo: Pumpkin can be surprisingly refreshing when it’s given the chance. Dairy-free yogurt gives this froyo a creamy, not cloying, texture, and candied pecans add a toasty flavor throughout. (via A Sweet Pea Chef)
15. Frozen Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake: If you’ve ever been disappointed by a dense, leaden cheesecake, this dessert is for you. The sweet pumpkin filling is whipped and then frozen in the no-bake crust, so it stays nice and fluffy. (via Chelsea’s Messy Apron)
For more seasonal treats, follow us on Pinterest.