Food in Food: 23 Mind-Blowing Mashups
The Hunger Games are about to get real. Real hunger. Real food. Real fun. We’re playing with our food like never before. (Sorry, mom!) Remember Pizza Hut’s hot dog stuffed crust pizza, the Cronut and ham and cheese stuffed pumpkin spice French toast waffles? Well, that was just the beginning. Now, we’ll stuff mac ‘n’ cheese and Oreos in whatever we want. For your viewing and eating pleasure, may we bring you the universe’s most outrageous food mashups that will make your next meal an exciting adventure. Foodie innovators, we salute you. May the odds be ever in your flavor.
1. The Spectacular Spaghetti Burger: The next time you’re ordering a burger at your favorite takeout joint, don’t be surprised if your server asks, “White, whole wheat or spaghetti bun?” This. Is. Real. (via Short List)
2. Marshmallow S’mores With Bacon: Sometimes we like to eat dessert for dinner. This protein-filled sammie makes us feel better about it. We’ve officially dubbed this s’more the BMC (bacon, marshmallow, chocolate) sandwich. (via How Sweet it Is)
7. Bacon Cinnamon Rolls: As if those swirls of cinnamon-infused dough weren’t already hypnotizing enough… this recipe has added another crave-worthy element: bacon. Suddenly this is the best part of waking up. (via Tablespoon)
8. Macaroni and Cheese Waffles: Yes, this actually happened. Cheese crisps up nicely. When fried, it fuses into a crisp shell that’s easily removed from a waffle iron. Maybe… just maybe…this is the wildest way to eat mac ‘n’ cheese ever. Hot sauce not optional. (via Serious Eats)
9. Bratwurst, Sauerkraut and Muenster Grilled Cheese on a Soft Pretzel: It’s true what they say: Two is better than one. But what about three? Three takes things to the epic side. The collaboration of a grilled bratwurst + sauerkraut + melted Muenster on a soft pretzel sounds divine. (via Taste Spotting)
10. The Ice Creamacaron Sandwich: The macaron maintains its artistic flair in these pretty marbled ice creamacaron sammies. You can snag these in New York for $5 a pop… but why wait when you can totally make your own? (via Serious Eats)
12. Kimchi Ramen Grilled Cheese Sandwich: The good news here is that there is more than one way to eat ramen. Why eat ramen noodles out of a bowl when you can have them on grilled cheese? (via Taste Spotting)
13. Cake Batter Oreo Stuffed Cheesecake Bars: We’re about to have a sugar coma just looking at all the sweet goodies here. These cake batter-stuffed, Oreo-studded confections have our attention. (via Club Narwhal)
15. The Milky Bun: Ice cream sandwiches aren’t just made with cookies anymore. But it simply doesn’t get any better than ice-cream-stuffed donuts. This newest dessert hybrid is taking the world by storm. Oh, sweet little milky buns, how we crave you! (Afters Ice Cream)
16. Turducken: The Turducken is proof that everything that sounds like a bad idea isn’t necessarily a bad idea. If you’re brave enough to tackle the task of deboning three birds (turkey, duck and chicken) and reassembling them into one impressive rolled-up main dish, we salute you. We’ll enjoy the turducken from afar. (via Serious Eats)
17. BBQ Nachos: This food collaberation might actually inspire you to get in the kitchen and create something tonight. Pulled pork, a blanket of oozing cheese and a sprinkling of spicy jalapeños can only get better when the combo transforms into chip dip. (via Steph’s Bite by Byte)
18. Brown Butter Crepe Ice Cream Tacos: At first mention, we dismissed this creation casually. Ice cream tacos? Whatever. But now we’re giving it a second thought. Because ice cream. And crepes. We totally want to DIY this right now. (via Half Baked Harvest)
20. Cherpumple: This cherry/pumpkin/apple pie turned cake is the dessert version of the Turducken. If a dessert menu puts you in a dither, the solution to your indecisiveness has arrived. You really can have it all. (via Serious Eats)
21. Goat Cheese and Peanut Buttercup Fries: Fries, goat cheese and peanut butter usually have little in common. But an LA-based food truck found a way to successfully merge these foods. The verdict is in: Fans are raving about this genius pairing of freshly fried potatoes and cool sweet toppings. (via The Daily Meal)
23. Bacon Taco Shells: Want a piece of pork that you can really bite into? Ditch the bacon bits, and sub in the bacon taco shell. The technique for making these shells is quite simple. We’re going crazy just thinkin’ of all the foods we could stuff inside. (via Foodigitty)
Tell us, which of these unique foods would you like to try — or not? Dish about your mashup mindset in the comments!
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.