How to Cook Quinoa (in Case You’re Too Embarrassed to Ask)
Quinoa is everywhere — in your oatmeal, your veggie bowls, and even your burgers. Considering quinoa’s growing popularity over the past several years, you might be wondering how late is too late to ask, “How exactly do you cook quinoa?” The answer, actually, is never! Just like there’s nothing wrong with starting your New Year’s resolution in February, there’s nothing wrong with learning to cook quinoa in 2018. Check out the instructions below to get started.
1. Remember the ratio. Just like rice, quinoa is cooked in a two-to-one ratio of water to quinoa. So that means that however much quinoa you decide to cook, you’ll need twice as much water. For example, if you’re preparing one cup of quinoa, then you’ll need two cups of water.
2. Wash the quinoa. You’ll need to wash the quinoa thoroughly before cooking it. It’s best to do this with a mesh strainer, as quinoa grains are very small and will slip through other types of strainers. Simply measure out your quinoa into the strainer and then run under cold water, scrubbing with your free hand. This process should only take about 30 seconds.
3. Boil the water, then add the quinoa. Turn the heat up and let the water come to a rolling boil. Then you can stir in the quinoa.
4. Let it simmer. After adding the quinoa, cover your pot and turn the heat to low. Let everything simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes.
5. Allow it to steam. Once all the water has evaporated, turn off the heat and let the quinoa continue to steam in the covered pot. The quinoa is done when little curly sprouts pop out of the seeds and it looks fluffy and light. Fluff it with a fork and serve.
Now that you’re a pro at this trendy and tasty dish, show us how you made it on Instagram.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Photos via Melanie Burke / Brit + Co)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)