This Gingerbread Recipe Will Spice Up Your Cookie Game
For our ‘Grammable Holiday Cookie Guide, we’ve teamed up with cookie artist Vickie Liu to help you create some of the prettiest cookies on the block! Get ready for serious inspiration, whether you’re a total cookie newbie or a next-level baker.
No holiday cookie lineup is complete without a few gingerbread creations (like gingerbread sweaters), and no master holiday baker could go without a killer gingerbread house of some kind. But all these festive confections start with a solid, reliable recipe for gingerbread at their foundation. Scroll on to get started with the basics.
Basic Gingerbread Cookie Recipe
(Makes ~2 dozen cookies)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
1. In a small bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
2. Fit a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Add butter, sugar, and eggs. Mix until fluffy. Then add molasses and vanilla. Continue to mix until blended, stoping and scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula as needed.
3. Slowly add flour mixture on low speed, then beat until combined. The dough will get pretty thick once you’ve added all of the flour mixture. If you need to, incorporate the last bit with your hands.
4. Divide the dough into half and make each section into a ball. Wrap in plastic and let stand at room temperature for at least two hours. Dough can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days, but bring it back up to room temperature before using.
6. Roll out to about 1/4-inch thickness with a rolling pin on a well-floured flat surface or between two pieces of parchment paper. Be sure to also flour your rolling pin as well.
6. Cut out cookies with cookie cutters of your choice, and bake for 7-10 minutes.
7. Allow the cookies to stand until they are firm enough to move to a wire rack. Cool on wire rack for 30 minutes.
Have your own favorite twist on the standard gingerbread? Share your recipe with us on Instagram @BritandCo!
(Recipe via Vickie Liu; photos via Brittany Griffin/Brit + Co)
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.