You’re cravin’ a rocky-road sundae with gummy bears, brownie bites, and whipped cream. Oh, and sprinkles. Lots and lots of sprinkles. It’s a given that your preggo self is going to have all kinds of cravings. But that growing baby bump isn’t a license to nix the notion of healthy snacking. You can have a treat here and there — just not for every meal. Whether you’re jonesing for something sweet or salty, check out these healthy (or at least healthier) versions of some fave not-so-good for you treats.
1. Chocolate Protein Mug Cake: Not only is this “cake” packed with protein, but you can make it in a mug. It satisfies your need for chocolate without all of the chemicals, fats, and other unhealthy bits and pieces you’d find in a boxed mix. Plus you can top it with something equally healthy, such as yogurt. (via Chocolate Covered Katie)
2. Raspberry Dark Chocolate Bark: Mmm, chocolate bark. This one doesn’t have any of that pesky added sugar in it. Even so, it will totally satisfy your preggo need for sweets. You’re getting flavorful fruit, the protein of nuts, and the snacky crunch that you’ve been seeking. (via Amy’s Healthy Baking)
3. Peach Crisps: It’s like the apple version, but with peaches (duh). This recipe does have some sugar in it (hey, sometimes a girl needs a little bit of the sweet stuff). But it’s also filled with fresh fruit, yogurt, and other healthy goodness. (via Cookie and Kate)
5. Spreadable Trail Mix: It’s the grown-up, much tastier cousin of that plastic bag of peanuts, chocolate chips, and random oat pieces. This spread has got lots of protein and a sweet cranberry kick, and you can either eat it as-is or spread it across your breakfast toast… or anything else that’s healthy. (via The Healthy Foodie)
6. Whole Wheat Banana Bread: You could pop a few pieces of plain ol’ white bread into the toaster and eat that as a bland, boring, not-the-healthiest-thing-in-the-world snack. Or you could try this way-better whole wheat and fruit version. Yum! (via Pepper Delight)
7. Vegan Coconut Lemon Cake: Sometimes you just need to give in to your sugar cravings. But that doesn’t mean you need to down a pack of pixie sticks or splurge on an entire box of donuts. If you’re vegan (or just cutting down on dairy) and looking for a luxurious-but-reasonable indulgence, this cake makes for a once-in-a-while tasty treat. (via Rachel Cooks)
8. Mint Chocolate Chip Nice Cream: Well… you need something to put your pickles in. This isn’t your regular, everyday ice cream, and you won’t find it in the freezer section at the grocery store. It’s dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan! (via Chocolate Covered Katie)
What are you craving? Tweet us your current foodie fave @BritandCo!