When thinking about the holidays, a few things come to mind — joy, gifts, family and indulgence. Sure, there is slow roasted poultry and ham, buckets of mac and cheese (or at least, we hope you have buckets of mac and cheese) and finally, holiday cookies. If you’re guilty of under-appreciating these delicious and intricate delicacies, for that you owe the following 19 recipes an apology. Because here is the best list of holiday cookies ever.
1. Spritz Cookies: We might as well start with something healthy-ish and delicious (‘tis the season). With no egg and a whole wheat dough, these light and delicious lovelies just might shock you. (via Food Faith Fitness)
2. Ginger Cookie and Nutmeg Ice Cream Sandwich: It might be cold outside, but snuggle up by the fire with these cold treats that taste like the holidays and fulfill that ice cream craving. (via The View from Great Island)
3. Snowball Cookies: The coating of confectionary sugar make these cookies taste cold and delicious. Just like a real snowball, but tastier and less messy. (via Raquel’s Kitchen)
4. White Chocolate Covered Gingerbread Oreos: A great DIY hack. These tasty treats take no time at all and are great for a holiday party or to be wrapped up as little party favors. (via Pies and Plots)
5. Fennel and Rosemary Cookies: Every once in awhile a more savory dessert is what will hit the spot, and these will not disappoint. (via Local Milk)
6. Eggnog Cookies: If you don’t usually love eggnog, give this recipe a try before you write it off completely. (via Half Full)
7. Peppermint Macarons: Class it up with this fun twist on the French macaron, great for parties or just a lovely family dinner. (via Studio DIY)
8. Gingerbread Dreidles: We don’t usually associate dreidels with eating, but when we do, we do it with gingerbread batter. (via Could Be Parve)
9. Gluten-Free Rugelach With Cranberry Port Jam, Chocolate and Walnuts: The perfect way to keep rugelach relevant for all the holidays (via The Bojon Gourmet)
10. Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies: Forget canned cranberries; these healthy cookies still pack a ton of flavor and holiday fun for everyone. (via Lotus Artichoke)
11. Gingerbread Cookies With Rum: For the 21 and older crowd, these are sure to be a hit at the holidays. Just make sure your DD doesn’t have too many. (via Little Rose Book).
12. Pumpkin Spice Cookies: Can you get more holiday cookie than a pumpkin spice cookie? We think not. (via It’s a Flavorful Life)
13. Italian Anisette Cookies: Usually these cookies have a strong licorice flavor, but this adaptations makes them a bit sweeter and lighter with vanilla and lemon. (via Cooking and Beer)
14. Cherry Chocolate Cookies: Otherwise known as “Rudolphs,” these chocolaty treats have it all — color, holiday flavor and chocolate. What more could you want? (via Eat in Eat Out)
15. Christmas Sugar Cookies: You can’t have a holiday cookie list without a sugar cookie, and these are some of the most beautiful we’ve seen. Get creative and have fun. (via Pastry Affair)
16. Shortbread Surprise: Talk about a surprise in the middle. These flaky cookies have an entire Hershey’s Kiss in the center. Sub in a Rolo if you want more of a caramel flavor. (via Baked in Arizona)
17. Cookie Christmas Trees: Take cookies and turn them into festive trees for the holidays — adorable, delicious, and super fun. (via Brit + Co)
18. Circus Animal Cookie Fudge: These are not only delicious, but they are also a great holiday activity to make with family and friends while snowed in the house. (via A Bajillian Recipes)
19. Mushroom Meringue: We know what you are thinking, and don’t worry — they aren’t actual mushroom cookies. Just ADORABLE and delicious meringues shaped like tiny mushrooms, so please make them and enjoy. (via Dough Puncher)
How many of these can you make this holiday season? Leave delicious comments below!