Heaping plates of Christmas cookies are basically synonymous with the holidays. It seems that nearly every country around the globe has their own variation of the holiday classic. In fact, some of these regions have been making a version for hundreds of years. If you’re looking for a way to reconnect with the motherland, or maybe just a little baking inspiration, check out our picks for the yummiest Christmas cookies from around the world. Santa (and everyone else in your house) will thank you (+ totally want to steal these holiday recipe ideas).
2. Lebkuchen: If the thought of cinnamon and cardamom wafting through your kitchen is enough to make your mouth water, just wait until you get to the tasty icing on these German Lebkuchen, which are rumored to have been invented by monks in the 13th century. (via Magda’s Cauldron)
4. Alfajores: Deeply flavored dulce de leche, a caramel made from whole milk commonly found in Spain and many Latin American countries, is the key ingredient in these super pretty sandwich cookies. (via Pretty Simple Sweet)
5. Baci di Dama: The name of this Italian treat translates to “lady’s kisses” — how adorable is that? These bite-sized cuties are made with ground hazelnuts and filled with a dollop of dark chocolate. (via Very Eatalian)
6. Linzer Cookies: These Austrian Christmas cookies are typically made with raspberry jam, but feel free to get crazy with a filling of your choice. Plus, the gorgeous windowpane look will make them a prize takeaway at your next cookie exchange. (via Cooking Classy)
7. Basler Brunsli: If you’re hanging out in Switzerland around Christmas time, you’ll definitely see these chocolate treats around. They’re often described as Swiss brownies due to their deliciously chewy texture. Perfect with a cup of eggnog or coffee! (via Olivia’s Cuisine)
10. Apricot Kolaches: The Hungarians definitely know what’s up when tart apricot jam gets wrapped in a blanket of flaky pastry. They’re a bright spot on a cold Christmas day. (via American Heritage Cooking)
12. Polvorones: You’ll find these simple pecan shortbread cookies all over Mexico around this time of year. The coating of powdered sugar and canela, a type of Mexican cinnamon, really bring the flavor to the next level. (via Saveur)
Does your family have a traditional cookie recipe for the holidays? Tag us @britandco in your Instagram photos and let us know!