13 Hot, Hearty Sandwich Recipes to Indulge in This Winter
In the summer, sandwiches are relegated to lunch. High-protein wraps and cold-cut pita pockets co-mingle with pasta salad and poke bowls when the weather’s warm. But once winter comes around, we crave sandwiches that are heartier than your standard fare — we want something meaty, cheesy, hot, and satisfying. And when you make subs, grinders, and paninis that fit that bill, they work just as well for dinner as a midday meal. These 13 recipes will make you realize that when it comes to comfort food, a big, warm sandwich is just as good as any casserole or roast.
1. Reuben Grilled Cheese: Swap rye for buttery white bread to make this twist on the classic Reuben. It’s stuffed with thick-sliced corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and an easy homemade Russian dressing. (via Eazy Peazy Mealz)
2. Hanger Steak Sandwich: A thick slab of grilled hanger steak makes this sandwich into a full meal. Add some marinated red onions for a nice little tang. (via Slow Sundays)
3. Caprese Sandwiches: Get your Caprese fix even in the winter with this recipe, which swaps fresh tomato slices for homemade sauce. Basil pesto and mozzarella are added to the mix, then everything’s sandwiched between slices of ciabatta bread and baked. (via Heinstirred)
4. Pressure Cooker Italian Beef Subs: Juicy Italian beef fills these subs with flavor. Served with its leftover sauce on the side, the meat is made in a pressure cooker in just under an hour. (via Sprinkles and Sprouts)
5. Southwest Avocado Chicken Panini: This panini has a deliciously crispy exterior, but avocado makes it creamy inside. Filled with spiced chicken tenders and plenty of provolone, these sandwiches are cheesy and satisfying. (via Dine and Dish)
6. Pear, Bacon, and Brie Panini: A pleasing blend of sweet and savory, this panini blends pears, bacon, and Brie for total sandwich heaven. (via Appetites Anonymous)
7. Sweet Black Pepper Grilled Chicken Hoagies: Marinated in a sweet black pepper sauce, grilled chicken has enough flavor to stand up to the other ingredients in this hoagie. It’s accompanied by marinated jalapeños and red onions, strips of roasted poblano peppers, and cheese. (via Garlic & Zest)
8. Garlic Bread Spicy Meatball Parm Sub: Make your meatball subs even better with a few flavor upgrades. Turn your sub rolls into garlic bread, and add some heat to your meatballs with Italian sausage and crushed red pepper flakes. (via Smells Like Home)
9. Chicken Sliders With Apple Brussels Slaw: Tender shredded chicken, made with an apple barbecue sauce, makes up the bulk of these sliders. Top them with a Brussels sprout and apple slaw to add crunch. (via The Speckled Palate)
10. Cherry Camembert Grilled Cheese Sandwich: When cold winter comes around, you need more than just a basic grilled cheese to fill you up. Camembert turns this one into an elegant meal, while cherries add a deep pop of flavor throughout. (via Dishes Delish)
11. Fajita Grilled Cheese: Chimichurri adds a tangy, herbal element to these gooey grilled cheese sandwiches. It helps meld together all of the flavors, from the sautéed fajita veggies to the milky mozzarella. (via Isabel Eats)
12. Waffled Pepperoni Grilled Cheese: Waffle irons turn even boring sandwiches into crispy, golden delights, full of nooks and crannies for scooping up your favorite sauce. Pepperoni pizza grilled cheese takes well to this method, especially when served with marinara for dunking. (via Kirbie Cravings)
13. Jalapeño Popper Turkey Bacon Sandwiches: Jalapeño poppers are a unique (and tasty) vehicle for adding spice and creaminess to your meal. They help liven up the simple combo of turkey, bacon, and tomato. (via Chili Pepper Madness)
For cozier, satisfying winter meal ideas, follow us on Pinterest.