Why Celebs Swear By Dry Brushing + How You Can Do It At Home
If you’ve never heard of dry brushing, then you’re missing out on one of the best detoxifying spa secrets around. Scrubbing down your dry skin may sound far from pampering, but there’s a reason why beauty gurus and celebrities alike sing its praise.
Check out this handy seven-step guide covering the basics of dry brushing and great post-scrub down tips. Go on, what are you waiting for?
1. Earth Therapeutics Far-Reaching Body Brush ($9): Splurge on a proper brush. We’re not saying to spend a fortune, but be on the lookout for a good quality one made with vegetable-derived bristles and a long handle for those hard-to-reach areas. Using a synthetic brush won’t work; it’s like brushing away toxins with toxins.
2. Brush Toward Your Heart: The direction in which you brush is key to properly ridding your body of toxins. Always brush toward the heart, making long circular sweeps, avoiding back and forth motions. Start at your ankles and move up the body brushing counterclockwise. Never scrub so hard that your skin gets raw or irritated. This is supposed to feel good!
3. Midsection Brushing: This is where it can get tricky! Once you get to your midsection, you’ll draw from your back toward the belly then rub clockwise on the belly. You’ll then move over to your arms, which you should lift above your head and rub downward toward your heart. Start at the back of the hand and go to the armpit.
4. Beautycounter Wash Everyday Body Wash ($22): You should dry brush three times a week. Mornings, before showering is the most beneficial time as it opens your pores and allows a thorough washing. For the most effective detoxifying experience, make sure to rid your shower of any harsh chemical-filled products. We like Beautycounter‘s line of safe skincare products.
5. Leave The Lotion Alone: For best results after your dry brushing session follow with a lukewarm shower or bath. Don’t forget to slather on a nourishing lotion. We prefer to dab on organic extra virgin coconut oil for baby-soft skin and a delicious scent.
6. Daily Water Cleanse: Take your detox a step further with a glass of filtered, room-temperature water mixed with lemon and cayenne pepper to jump-start your digestive system. Even if you happen to reach for a midday pastry, at least you’ll have started the day off on the right foot. (via Henry Happened)
7. Clean Your Brush: Lastly, keep unwanted bacteria at bay by cleaning your brush after every use. We recommend letting your brush soak in an all-natural water, vinegar, and baking soda solution for a few minutes and then letting it air dry. Bonus: You can also use this mixture on makeup brushes and your hair! (via Brit + Co)
Are you ready to get the softest skin of your life and get your brush on? Tell us in the comments below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)