If you’ve never heard of dry brushing, then you’re missing out on one of the best detoxifying spa secrets around. Scrubbing down your dry skin may sound far from pampering, but there’s a reason why beauty gurus and celebrities alike sing its praise.
Aside from boosting overall skin appearance (hello, glowing skin!), proper dry brushing also hosts a plethora of health benefits, including: aiding in blood circulation, releasing harmful toxins trapped in our skin and ultimately rejuvenating our nervous systems which allows our bodies to run more effectively. And if that isn’t enough to get your attention, dry brushing has also been linked to temporarily improving the appearance of cellulite. Score!
Check out this handy seven-step guide covering the basics of dry brushing and great post-scrub down tips. Go on, what are you waiting for?
1. Earth Therapeutics Far-Reaching Body Brush ($9): Splurge on a proper brush. We’re not saying to spend a fortune, but be on the lookout for a good quality one made with vegetable-derived bristles and a long handle for those hard-to-reach areas. Using a synthetic brush won’t work; it’s like brushing away toxins with toxins.
2. Brush Toward Your Heart: The direction in which you brush is key to properly ridding your body of toxins. Always brush toward the heart, making long circular sweeps, avoiding back and forth motions. Start at your ankles and move up the body brushing counterclockwise. Never scrub so hard that your skin gets raw or irritated. This is supposed to feel good!
3. Midsection Brushing: This is where it can get tricky! Once you get to your midsection, you’ll draw from your back toward the belly then rub clockwise on the belly. You’ll then move over to your arms, which you should lift above your head and rub downward toward your heart. Start at the back of the hand and go to the armpit.
4. Beautycounter Wash Everyday Body Wash ($22): You should dry brush three times a week. Mornings, before showering is the most beneficial time as it opens your pores and allows a thorough washing. For the most effective detoxifying experience, make sure to rid your shower of any harsh chemical-filled products. We like Beautycounter‘s line of safe skincare products.
5. Leave The Lotion Alone: For best results after your dry brushing session follow with a lukewarm shower or bath. Don’t forget to slather on a nourishing lotion. We prefer to dab on organic extra virgin coconut oil for baby-soft skin and a delicious scent.
6. Daily Water Cleanse: Take your detox a step further with a glass of filtered, room-temperature water mixed with lemon and cayenne pepper to jump-start your digestive system. Even if you happen to reach for a midday pastry, at least you’ll have started the day off on the right foot. (via Henry Happened)
7. Clean Your Brush: Lastly, keep unwanted bacteria at bay by cleaning your brush after every use. We recommend letting your brush soak in an all-natural water, vinegar, and baking soda solution for a few minutes and then letting it air dry. Bonus: You can also use this mixture on makeup brushes and your hair! (via Brit + Co)
Are you ready to get the softest skin of your life and get your brush on? Tell us in the comments below!