When to Pat and When to Rub in Skincare Products
Rubbing: That circular motion you use to drive products deep into your skin could do more harm than good. "Rubbing in skincare products can cause friction, stretch the skin, and break down collagen and elastic which will cause wrinkles and sagging," explains Glow Recipe co-founder and co-CEO Sarah Lee.
Patting:“This technique is more gentle because it doesn't tug or pull at your skin, and has the added bonus of helping with blood circulation," Lee says. “It also ensures even distribution, which means that you're getting the most out of your skincare, and is especially important around the delicate eye area, where patting is the priority."
When to Rub vs. When to Pat: Almost your entire skincare regimen — toners, essences, serums, moisturizers, and eye creams included — should be patted into the skin, since liquids, creams, lotions, and gel-based offerings absorb best with this technique. Leave the (gentle!) rubbing for cleanser application, where the motion helps activate the foam.
To get the most out of your pat, apply the product to your hands and rub them together. This helps make sure you have an even layer on your hands. “Gently pat products onto the face, starting from the inside areas moving outward, applying the remaining product on your most oily areas, like the T-zone," she says. “For an extra glow, pat an additional layer on the high points of your face."
Follow us on Pinterest for more skincare inspo and info.
(Photo via Mathilde Langevin/Unsplash)
- This Crazy 14-Step Korean Skin Care Routine Completely Changed ... ›
- Perfect Skincare Straight from Your Pantry! 25 Homemade Skincare ... ›
- When to Pat and When to Rub in Skincare Products - Brit + Co ›
- 20 Top-Rated Skincare Products from Sephora and More - Brit + Co ›
- Skincare - Brit + Co ›
- 11 Expert-Approved Anti-Pollution Skincare Ingredients - Brit + Co ›
- Perfect Skincare Straight from Your Pantry! 25 Homemade Skincare Hacks - Brit + Co ›
- Skincare Routine Upgrade — Skincare With Hidden Benefits - Brit + Co ›
- The Perfect Skin-care Routine - Brit + Co ›
- The Best Ways To Soothe Dry Skin - Brit + Co ›
- What's An Eye Care Routine, And Do I Need One? - Brit + Co ›
- Best Hand Lotion And Skincare | Paume, Supergoop, and More - Brit + Co ›
- 73 Skincare Ingredients You're Using And What They Mean - Brit + Co ›
- Everything You Need To Know About Oil Pulling - Brit + Co ›