8 Ways to Keep Your Lips from Drying and Cracking During the Winter
You did it again: you left the house without your lip balm and now your lips are dry AF. While you thought you learned from your past mistakes, this annual crisis has happened once again. But between protecting your skin with cold-weather skincare hacks and curing your dry hair woes, the thought of having to add *another* self-care routine is overwhelming. That’s where we come in to help. We searched the internet to find the best ways to heal and maintain your precious pout without the extra work. Whether you need some lip therapy or just want to prep your pout for that NYE kiss, here are all eight dry-lip hacks, below.
1. ILIA Lip Exfoliator ($26): One of the best ways to get your lips feeling like new is by exfoliating them on a weekly basis. This trick will get rid of dead skin and help moisturizers penetrate the lips to keep them soft. Purchase an on-the-go lip exfoliator like this ILIA one, which is made with organic ingredients and tiny grains of volcanic stone.
2. Don’t Lick Your Lips: While you think licking your lips will moisten your pout, it actually does the opposite. The saliva from your tongue strips away the moisture from your lips, making them extremely dry. Saliva contains enzymes which help breaks down food, and when the saliva evaporates from your lips, it can make them dry and crack, especially if you repeat this habit over and over again.
3. First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair® Intensive Lip Balm ($20): Another great way to make your lips feel soft AF is by using beeswax. Occlusive agents (AKA beeswax and shea butter) keep water from evaporating off of your lips. They lock the moisture in place, which helps lips avoid a dry spell.
4. Drink Lots of Water: As you probably already know, drinking water will hydrate your body from the inside out. So if you really want your lips to look alive, you should drink a lot of this liquid, especially during the dry winter months when the cold air zaps the moisture from your skin and lips.
5. Don’t Eat Spicy or Salty Foods: Sorry, folks. But if you want to prevent your lips from cracking, you probably should stay away from spicy and salty foods. The problem is they can irritate your lips and allow them to become inflamed. Instead, try to eat foods that will help bring moisture back into your body, like fruits and vegetables.
6. Urban Outfitters Icon Scarf ($32): To give your lips that extra protection, cover them up with a swoon-worthy scarf. This chic accessory will prevent the cold wind from drying out your lips, all while make you look cute during the holiday season.
7. Honeywell Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier ($40): Work on your lips while you sleep by placing a humidifier in your room. This little machine of awesomeness will bring moisture back into your room and into your skin. And when you wake up, you’ll notice how supple your skin will look and how hydrated it will feel. Yes, you just #wokeuplikethis after all.
8. e.l.f. Moisturizing Lipstick ($3): Your lipstick game won’t look the best if your lips are dry and cracked. Opt for a moisturizing lipstick that will not only give your lips life but also make them look fab-u-lous. This one, in particular, is made with shea and vitamins A, C and E. Plus, it’s not bad for the price.
Looking for the more beauty hacks? Follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.