8 Ways to Keep Your Lips from Drying and Cracking During the Winter
You did it again: you left the house without your lip balm and now your lips are dry AF. While you thought you learned from your past mistakes, this annual crisis has happened once again. But between protecting your skin with cold-weather skincare hacks and curing your dry hair woes, the thought of having to add *another* self-care routine is overwhelming. That’s where we come in to help. We searched the internet to find the best ways to heal and maintain your precious pout without the extra work. Whether you need some lip therapy or just want to prep your pout for that NYE kiss, here are all eight dry-lip hacks, below.
1. ILIA Lip Exfoliator ($26): One of the best ways to get your lips feeling like new is by exfoliating them on a weekly basis. This trick will get rid of dead skin and help moisturizers penetrate the lips to keep them soft. Purchase an on-the-go lip exfoliator like this ILIA one, which is made with organic ingredients and tiny grains of volcanic stone.
2. Don’t Lick Your Lips: While you think licking your lips will moisten your pout, it actually does the opposite. The saliva from your tongue strips away the moisture from your lips, making them extremely dry. Saliva contains enzymes which help breaks down food, and when the saliva evaporates from your lips, it can make them dry and crack, especially if you repeat this habit over and over again.
3. First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair® Intensive Lip Balm ($20): Another great way to make your lips feel soft AF is by using beeswax. Occlusive agents (AKA beeswax and shea butter) keep water from evaporating off of your lips. They lock the moisture in place, which helps lips avoid a dry spell.
4. Drink Lots of Water: As you probably already know, drinking water will hydrate your body from the inside out. So if you really want your lips to look alive, you should drink a lot of this liquid, especially during the dry winter months when the cold air zaps the moisture from your skin and lips.
5. Don’t Eat Spicy or Salty Foods: Sorry, folks. But if you want to prevent your lips from cracking, you probably should stay away from spicy and salty foods. The problem is they can irritate your lips and allow them to become inflamed. Instead, try to eat foods that will help bring moisture back into your body, like fruits and vegetables.
6. Urban Outfitters Icon Scarf ($32): To give your lips that extra protection, cover them up with a swoon-worthy scarf. This chic accessory will prevent the cold wind from drying out your lips, all while make you look cute during the holiday season.
7. Honeywell Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier ($40): Work on your lips while you sleep by placing a humidifier in your room. This little machine of awesomeness will bring moisture back into your room and into your skin. And when you wake up, you’ll notice how supple your skin will look and how hydrated it will feel. Yes, you just #wokeuplikethis after all.
8. e.l.f. Moisturizing Lipstick ($3): Your lipstick game won’t look the best if your lips are dry and cracked. Opt for a moisturizing lipstick that will not only give your lips life but also make them look fab-u-lous. This one, in particular, is made with shea and vitamins A, C and E. Plus, it’s not bad for the price.
Looking for the more beauty hacks? Follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)