9 Rules About Wearing Lace That You Should Totally Break
If classic and feminine aren’t exactly part of your sartorial vocabulary, lace might seem like a totally foreign concept. Androgynous and masculine it is not — the delicate fabric has ladylike written all over it. But that’s no reason to totally nix it from your style repertoire. There are plenty of new takes on lace to choose from, so if a classic white frock just doesn’t float your boat, bright, bold color and unexpected silhouettes will. Here are nine fresh ways to do lace on your own terms.
1. ASOS Bonded T-Shirt With Fluro Lace Dress ($117): Forget the traditional fit-and-flare dress. Look for pieces that fuse both classic and of-the-moment aesthetics, like this laid-back-tee-meets-elegant-lace dress. A fashion-forward interpretation of the traditional frock, this is how you do 21st-century lace.
2. Zara Frilled Guipure Lace Top ($40): Skip the standard floral pattern and go for bold graphic or streamlined styles. This vibrant lattice-inspired top feels undeniably modern while still maintaining a hint of timeless appeal.
3. A Common Space Ribbon Print Maxi Dress ($158): Rockin’ a little lace doesn’t have to mean going all out. Subtly sprinkle it in here and there to soften sleek materials, like leather or eye-catching prints.
4. Lace Layered Dress With Contrast Trim and Hem ($78): Throw lace for a loop by giving it an athleisure edge. Take a lace top and pair it up with joggers and laid-back kicks, or opt for sports-chic pieces decked out in lace trim. Game-day dressing is about to get a lot more interesting.
5. Cooperative Metallic Lace Mini Dress ($79): Bust out of the black and white mold with a spectrum of vibrant colors that give lace a whole new attitude.
6. ASOS Curve Legging in Lace ($36): Do leisurewear in a totally different way by swapping out your go-to pair of leggings for ones in delicate lace. Pair it up with oversized tees and sweatshirt dresses for a cool + casual look.
7. Forever21 Lace Cami Jumpsuit ($21): Think outside of the box. Unexpected silhouettes take lace to a whole new level, while subtle boho vibes balance out the otherwise feminine feel. Wear this number now with a cozy turtleneck, then rock it with platform sandals and gilded baubles come spring.
8. Milk It Crop Top in Metallic Floral Lace ($45): Traditional lace tops are pretty and all, but if hot-right-now is more the mood you’re after, seek out separates that aren’t afraid of a little attention. Bonus points for metallics and on-trend pairings, like suede skirts and over-the-knee boots.
9. Warehouse Victoriana Lace Dress ($134): The easiest way to transform a sweet getup? Pair it up with tough-as-nails fabrics and menswear-inspired pieces. Get ready to start layering on the leather and strutting yourself around in platform loafers and lace-up oxfords.
How would you give lace a little of-the-moment flair? Tell us in the comments!