You NEED This Cozy Dress to Wear All Fall Long
One-and-done styles — the cornerstone of lazy girl dressing — are kind of the best, especially when they’re cozy. Sweater dresses are that piece this season, offering instant comfort to their wearer. And like a classic shift or shirt dress, it doesn’t take much to take them to the next level: a sleek pair of leggings, funky socks, or — of course — killer shoes. They’re begging for a place in your closet this fall and once you score the right one, you’ll be so happy you did: This year’s crop is chicer than ever and still SO snuggly. Scroll through these 23 soon-to-be favorite sweater dresses. The work week — and weekend — will never be the same.
1. ASOS Roll Neck Midi Dress in Knitted Rib with D-Ring ($76): Being comfy at the office just became a reality thanks to this knitted midi style. Layer it over a long sleeve top on days when you need that extra bit of warmth and exotic print ankle boots that feel chic on any occasion.
2. Sonia by Sonia Rykiel Cotton Multicolored Striped Sweater Dress ($290): This made-in-France frock has everything you could want in a chic sweater dress — bright color, bold prints and soft knit fabric. Pull a little dress-over-skirt action and style it with a shimmery mid-length bottom.
3. Madewell Viewpoint Turtleneck Sweater Dress ($128): Coffee dates, afternoons at the museum and cookie baking — this is the dress you’ll want to wear for all your favorite activities this fall. Super warm and relaxed in fit, pair with polka dot tights, colorful shoes and a wine-colored tote.
4. BDG Kaylyn Ribbed Turtleneck Dress ($59): Your standard fit-and-flare dress gets a fall-inspired makeover with bright yellow ribbed fabric and high neckline. Rock it with classic black tights, ankle boots and a cozy shearling coat.
5. Cooperative Grace Swingy Sweater Dress ($49): A swingy silhouette with accordion pleats adds a super feminine touch to this classic sweater dress. Style it with modern Mary Janes and funky socks for an “It girl” twist on a timeless look.
6. ASOS Knit Dress in Stripe ($72): This striped stunner takes on new life with just a few simple accessories. A sleek waist belt and strappy mules make it ready for your 9 to 5, while high tops are the perfect finisher for a casual weekend look.
7. Zara Fine Pleat Dress ($150): Constantly cold? This super sophisticated number will keep you cozy while keeping your style game on lockdown. For a bit of extra polish, pair with a statement necklace and wedge heel booties.
8. ASOS Sweater Dress With Wide Sleeve And Double Neck Detail ($81): Effortless style is about to get that much easier thanks to this cool cobalt frock. It gives us laid-back vibes that make it ideal for all of your out-of-office hour activities, like endless brunch and window shopping. Dress it up with sassy ankle boots or go all-out with a set of over-the-knee kicks.
9. Topshop Tweedy Fringe Dress ($80): Throwback isn’t just about ’70s flares and mid-century color block skirts; heritage fabrics are the latest old-school trend to rock the fashion world. Take the trend to the office with this fringe-flecked sheath and classic pumps.
10. ASOS Tunic Dress With Lace Up Detail ($86): Autumn’s answer to summer’s lace-up obsession, this trend-right tunic is the piece you’ll want to live in all season long. Wear it on its own with fleece tights and statement brogues or layer it over your favorite denim duds.
11. & Other Stories Tie-Dye Sweatshirt Dress ($65): Being short on time doesn’t have to mean cutting your fashion game short too. This tie-dye dress is a one-stop shop when it comes to chic and simple dressing. To realize its full potential, rock with edgy lace-up boots and a statement coat.
12. Kate Spade Windowpane Check Sweater Dress ($348): This eye-catching shift dress is a chic way to wear plaid. The graphic windowpane print gives off a modern vibes, but soft cotton and a hint of cashmere are all about keeping you cozy.
13. ASOS Pinafore Maxi Dress in Space Dye ($72): This not-your-average sweater dress tries its hand at an overall-inspired silhouette and the result is incredibly on point. Wear it your next meeting with a turtleneck and block heel pumps then take it along for an off-the-clock adventure with a classic white tee and colorful trainers.
14. FRS Yellow V-neck Knit Sweater Dress ($81): Anytime is the right time to rock a re-energizing shade of fluoro green. The look-at-me bright commands attention and puts an unexpected twist on a comfy basic.
15. ASOS CURVE Midi Dress with High Neck in Space Dye ($63): This sleek midi dress is a strong contender for the best first date outfit award. It’s elegant, but not fussy and says straight up, “I don’t need any gimmicks to show that I’ve got mad style.”
16. Mara Hoffman Knit Sweater Dress ($316): Colorful abstract stripes lend boho appeal to a fitted alpaca dress. Pair it with L.L. Bean-inspired boots, wooly ribbed socks and leather-look leggings.
17. Silence + Noise High-Neck Shimmer Dress ($69): Meet your new go-to dress for a night out on the town. With a little bit of shimmer and a sassy silhouette, it feels ready to party, but it will keep you comfortable for hours while you break it down on the dance floor. On-point with a biker jacket and lace-up ankle boots.
18. & Other Stories Bouclé Dress ($95): With festive fringe accents and a feminine silhouette, standard this bouclé number is not. Drive your work week into fashion-forward territory with metallic pointed-toe oxfords and a bright lucite bauble or two.
19. Old Navy V-Neck Sweater Dress ($40): A no-frills classic, this kelp-colored getup will earn a special place in your regular rotation. Style it with a polished waist belt over a pleated leather midi and boots for office hours, then dress it down with skinny jeans for kickin’ it on the couch.
20. Forver21 Metallic Sleeveless Sweater Dress ($25): Between the shimmery fabric and rich burgundy color, this sleeveless frock will fast become a favorite once the holidays roll around.
21. ASOS A-Line Dress In Check With Turtleneck ($76): Forget the plaid shirt and get your fix with a snuggly sweater dress in a relaxed fit. Pair with riding boots and a classic cross-body bag for a effortless ensemble.
22. Paul by Paul Smith Knitted Sweater Dress in Color Block ($268): Cool fall colors, a funky print and a soft, fluffy finish, what more could you ask for?
23. ASOS WHITE Rib Ovoid Sweater Dress ($153): Skip the denim this season for all your sports-minded get togethers and opt instead for unexpected pieces that channel athleisure vibes. This burnt orange ribbed frock is the perfect example — wear it with tennis shoes and a messy bun for a carefree Sunday Funday look.
Will a sweater dress be making its way into your closet this season? Tell us about your favorite style in the comments!
No matter what your holiday plans look like this year, we know you want to feel present and able to embrace the warm and festive spirit to the fullest — not be bogged down by errands, stressful hosting duties, and last-minute shopping disasters. We wouldn't be surprised if one look at your December to-do list sent you into a full-on panic.