Kate Middleton’s Ankle-Length Dress Is Princess Perfection
Is there anything Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton can’t wear? Just like her would-be mother-in-law, she’s got one hit after another, all chosen for their posterity, poise and perfection. Take, for example, her wrap coat, preppy loafers and tie-neck dress — and that’s just what she wore to Canada earlier this month.
She’s at it again in this snap of her and hubby Prince William opening up their home to BBC’s Teen Heroes, where her very pretty ankle-length wrap dress (in white, after Labor Day, once again showing she subtly breaks the rules) stole the show. Paired with simple red heels, she was a vision in happy, bright florals that were still conservative but showed off her personality. Her look is easy to recreate — just hem a maxi dress of your choice to the right ankle length for you! Go elegant like Kate in heels or get casual in booties. Here are 12 styles to get you started.
1. Rachel Pally Jolene Dress ($260): Graphic, modern babes will get a kick out of this lace-up version that’s just screaming for a statement-earring moment.
2. Tularosa Desi Floral Dress ($238): Yes, this dress has a cutout, but how chic would a plum or camel turtleneck look under it? Bonus that you can justify the price by wearing this into spring.
3. Fraiche by J Tie-Dye Dress ($99): It’s not printed like the one the Duchess wore, but that doesn’t make it any less fun. This ombre tie-dye dress could use a belt; try a skinny version or something with a bold buckle.
4. Vince Camuto Diamond Dress ($89): Ladies who are looking for 1X-3X, this one is for you — and it’s a serious blank canvas. Layer up with a long, nubby cardigan and boots, or take it to the office with a fitted blazer and pointy heels.
5. City Chic Puzzle Piece Plus Dress ($119): The banded waist on this floral number from City Chic is like having a built-in belt already. A long pendant necklace (or two, or three) will help elongate your lines and make you look taller.
6. Free People Babushka Gown ($245): To keep that ‘70s theme rolling, grab a dress like this one from Free People. Lace-up Victorian-style boots or even cowboy-style boots will complete the look.
7. Rinku Dalamal Mabli Maxi Dress ($188): The colors and the contrast of this pretty Anthropologie number are perfect for fall and even early spring. You can switch out the belt it comes with for something more whimsical, such as a chain belt.
8. By Ghost Madrid Maxi Dress ($298): While this is a dress that just screams spring, you can totally make it your own now — add a turtleneck under the dress, a cardigan belted over it and your favorite booties to make this fall ready.
9. Tularosa Jace Dress ($229): You can even get an ankle-length dress for something fancier, like a cocktail party! The neckline of this dress makes it more formal, while the length keeps it obvious that your attitude is a little bohemian.
10. Express Floral Dress ($88): Grab a black blazer, black opaque tights and your favorite heels, and you’ve got a workday look at the ready.
11. ASOS Maxi Dress ($111): Dark florals are so ‘90s — and so you. Try this dress with platforms or booties.
12. Abercrombie Floral Dress ($78): Yes, Abercrombie makes some pretty awesome stuff, such as this affordable floral dress that you can throw on year round.
Tweet us your favorite look from the Duchess!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Feature photo via Chris Jackson / Getty)