Spring Trend Report: 5 Little Details That Will Make a Big Difference
You’ve exhausted your rotation of tried-and-true staples that reigned supreme in 2015 (see ya later, button-fronts skirts and lace-up everything!) and are more than ready to add a slew of new style basics to your wardrobe. Thankfully, you won’t have to do a complete 360 to achieve a game-changing look that’s fresh yet still totally in line with your sartorial sensibilities. And, if the spring 2016 runway reports are any indication, it’s all about the accoutrements — a little ruffle here, stripes to update your favorite shift dress or a completely brand new silhouette to rock with as much panache as you’ve got (we’re looking at you, paperbag waists). Scroll down for five little details that we predict will be *groundbreaking* in the coming months.
1. Graphic Stripes: Bolder, punchier and more graphic than ever, stripes are your new It print. Think beyond Breton stripes to give essentials like your office shirts and sweaters a punch or take statement pieces like rompers and midi skirts to a whole new level. Rock the latter with knee-high boots to nail chic late-winter vibes.
2. Cool Stitches + Patches: Enter the not-so-basic way to upgrade all of your wardrobe essentials. From personalized embroidered tees to quirky patches covering everything from shirt dresses to a roughed-up pair of jeans, this craft-inspired trend turns staples into standouts (and breathes new life into old favorites).
Truly Madly Deeply Initial Pocket Ringer Tee ($19), Zara Patch Dress ($40), The Ragged Priest x Joanna Kuchta High Rise Mom Jeans With Ripped Knees and Cloud Patches ($129) + ASOS Tall T-Shirt With Embroidered Cactus Print ($31)
3. Modern Ruffles: Running the gamut from ultra-feminine and flirty to more architectural and structured, the latest crop of ruffles are anything but blasé. A surefire way to elevate your date-night look, cascading ruffles on the shoulder of your dress or trim of your skirt will straight-up stun on any number of occasions. ProTip: Keep the accessories to a minimum and let the ruffles do all the talking.
4. Asymmetrical Heels: These aren’t your average tapered heels. Granny-style block heels get a funky twist with a wider base that makes for a sturdier step. Go full-on glam with ’70s-inspired mules and booties or add flair to everyday steppers like ankle boots or work-to-date pumps.
5. Tie Closures: Mark our words: tie waists will not be going away anytime soon. Not only are they lazy girl-approved (hello, super forgiving waistlines + roomy silhouettes), but they read high-fashion without any mad styling skills. For a streamlined look, juxtapose your bow-tie skirts and paperbag trousers with a more form-fitting top — something cropped if you’re heading out for dinner or a tailored button-down for the nine-to-five grind.
Which of these details will you be sporting? Follow us on Pinterest for more up-and-coming trends + style inspo.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)