Spring Trend Report: 5 Little Details That Will Make a Big Difference
You’ve exhausted your rotation of tried-and-true staples that reigned supreme in 2015 (see ya later, button-fronts skirts and lace-up everything!) and are more than ready to add a slew of new style basics to your wardrobe. Thankfully, you won’t have to do a complete 360 to achieve a game-changing look that’s fresh yet still totally in line with your sartorial sensibilities. And, if the spring 2016 runway reports are any indication, it’s all about the accoutrements — a little ruffle here, stripes to update your favorite shift dress or a completely brand new silhouette to rock with as much panache as you’ve got (we’re looking at you, paperbag waists). Scroll down for five little details that we predict will be *groundbreaking* in the coming months.
1. Graphic Stripes: Bolder, punchier and more graphic than ever, stripes are your new It print. Think beyond Breton stripes to give essentials like your office shirts and sweaters a punch or take statement pieces like rompers and midi skirts to a whole new level. Rock the latter with knee-high boots to nail chic late-winter vibes.
2. Cool Stitches + Patches: Enter the not-so-basic way to upgrade all of your wardrobe essentials. From personalized embroidered tees to quirky patches covering everything from shirt dresses to a roughed-up pair of jeans, this craft-inspired trend turns staples into standouts (and breathes new life into old favorites).
Truly Madly Deeply Initial Pocket Ringer Tee ($19), Zara Patch Dress ($40), The Ragged Priest x Joanna Kuchta High Rise Mom Jeans With Ripped Knees and Cloud Patches ($129) + ASOS Tall T-Shirt With Embroidered Cactus Print ($31)
3. Modern Ruffles: Running the gamut from ultra-feminine and flirty to more architectural and structured, the latest crop of ruffles are anything but blasé. A surefire way to elevate your date-night look, cascading ruffles on the shoulder of your dress or trim of your skirt will straight-up stun on any number of occasions. ProTip: Keep the accessories to a minimum and let the ruffles do all the talking.
4. Asymmetrical Heels: These aren’t your average tapered heels. Granny-style block heels get a funky twist with a wider base that makes for a sturdier step. Go full-on glam with ’70s-inspired mules and booties or add flair to everyday steppers like ankle boots or work-to-date pumps.
5. Tie Closures: Mark our words: tie waists will not be going away anytime soon. Not only are they lazy girl-approved (hello, super forgiving waistlines + roomy silhouettes), but they read high-fashion without any mad styling skills. For a streamlined look, juxtapose your bow-tie skirts and paperbag trousers with a more form-fitting top — something cropped if you’re heading out for dinner or a tailored button-down for the nine-to-five grind.
Which of these details will you be sporting? Follow us on Pinterest for more up-and-coming trends + style inspo.