Morning Buzz! Taylor Swift Surprising a World War II Veteran with a Concert at His House Will Give You Hope for the World + More
From a Taylor Swift surprise to a terrifying Britney Spears hoax, check out six of today’s top news items below.
1. Okay, this is ADORABLE. 96-year-old WWII vet Cyrus Porter is known for being a Swiftie, having attended Taylor Swift’s concerts and saying that his fandom is something he shares with and brings him closer to his grandchildren. Cyrus’s grandchildren shared photos and videos of Tay popping by his Missouri home to visit and put on a little show for him and all his family, and no, we’re not crying; you’re crying! A sweet Christmas move from Tay.
Someone has hacked one of Sony Music's Twitter accounts, it seems.
Keeping up the tradition of great internet security, Sony. pic.twitter.com/aQc5Ho1Wsg
— Ryan Brown (@Toadsanime) December 26, 2016
2. Good news! Britney Spears is NOT dead. Yesterday, a (very obvious) hack to Sony Music’s Twitter account was declaring Britney Spears dead “by accident,” causing people to freak out over what seemed for a second like it might be another devastating celebrity loss among many in 2016. The tweets were eventually removed, however, and Brit’s manager told CNN that “Britney is fine and well.” PHEW.
3. Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom celebrated Christmas much like your little siblings this year — playing the pie face game. GOALS.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by People Magazine (@people) on
4. The Kayne sightings continue, and so does his evolving hair color. Ye was spotted at a movie Monday with a new dash of pink in his recently blonde hair, and may we say, it’s looking very ’90s mall punk (which means, yes, we love it).
so my grandpa passed away tragically about a year ago and my aunt got my sisters a teddy bear that has a recording of my grandpas voice😢❤️ pic.twitter.com/zdjUaghISr
— yenn (@y_jennifer2974) December 25, 2016
5. These two little girls got an emotional AF Christmas gift and it’s just what you need for a good cry today. Sisters Mariana and Sarahy were missing their grandfather, who died tragically of a stroke during a robbery at a car wash last year, this Christmas. So their aunt gifted them teddy bears that she had specially made with audio players that had recordings of their grandfather’s voice, complete with cute inside jokes they shared with him. The girls broke down, and so did we. What an amazing gift. (h/t Buzzfeed)
6. Quote of the day: “A woman on Deal or No Deal told us she needed £15k for IVF treatment. George Michael secretly phoned the next day and gave her the £15k.” TV host Richard Osman shares an amazing memory of the late pop singer.
What’s your favorite George Michael song? Let us know over @BritandCo.
(Featured image via @bert_frye)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)