18 Outdoor Entertaining Trends That Will Be Everywhere This Summer
Great drinks, good friends, maybe some DIY outdoor games and lots of ice cream: You don’t need much more than that to throw a great party. But before you break out the grapefruit rosé and press play on your summer playlist, you’ll need to be fully hip to the latest and greatest entertaining trends. Giant-sized lawn games, flamingo lights and rad pool floats are just a few of the fun picks you’ll find below. Scroll on to get the party started, and make your soiree on point with these 18 summer trends.
1. Giant Lawn Games: Lawn games were always cool, but this season they all got mega sized, and now they’re awesome. Whether your game of choice is Jenga, dominoes or Yahtzee, everything is more fun with a bright coat of paint and a size upgrade. Bring this giant tumbling tower of blocks to your next outdoor party and you’ll definitely be winning at summer. (via Brit + Co)
2. Paper Plates Get Awesome: See ya, red Solo cup. Paper plates and plastic cups got a serious makeover this summer, and now every single picnic and BBQ can be Pinterest-perfect. (via Design Love Fest)
3. Customizable Food: Finger food is fun, but finger food that you can customize is even more fun. The key? Lots of toppings. Next time you’re throwing a backyard movie night, set up a snack bar with different candies, sprinkles, flavored salts and other mix-ins, along with plenty of popcorn to stir them into. (via Studio DIY)
4. Rose Slushies: Wine, of course. Here’s a little throwback drink that symbolizes the best part of summers when you were a kid, but with a grown-up twist. Whether you prefer a crisp Chardonnay or a grapefruit rosé, there’s a perfect icy treat calling your name. (via Style Me Pretty)
5. Urban Outfitters Shell Pool Float ($48): Last year it was all about the gold flamingo float, and now there are more stylish pool floats than you could imagine. They’re inspired by everything from sparkly sea shells to your favorite edible treats, and summer has never looked so chic.
6. DIY Sling Beach Chair Makeovers: Witty graphics are popping up all over the place, from snarky tees to our DIY swimsuits. You can bring the trend to your backyard by customizing your own sling chairs with paint, stencils or iron-on stickers. (via Studio DIY)
7. DIY Ombre Ruffled Crepe Paper Photo Backdrop: The photo booth is out and the photo backdrop is in. Whether you’re planning a wedding or just feel like jazzing up your next pool party, creating a fun backdrop is a great way to set the tone for any big event. (via Lovely Indeed)
8. DIY Funfetti Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Bowls: If there’s one food to take seriously this summer, it’s desserts. Skip the fancy tea sandwiches and go all out with epic sweets like these cookie bowls or these glittery ice cream sandwiches. (via Aww, Sam)
9. Pink Watermelon Lemonade Slushies: Thanks to Queen Bey, lemonade everything is trending hard. Sure, summer has always been the time for sipping on the drink, but “the Beyoncé effect” on this warm-weather staple is real. Combine the tart treat with sweet watermelon for a delicious slushie. (via Half Baked Harvest)
10. DIY Lemon Headband: Speaking of lemonade, the floral crown is out and lemon crowns are so in. You can rock this Beyoncé-inspired piece at your next festival or beach day, or go all out and pair it with a lemonade-inspired crop top for the ultimate #queenbey OOTD. (via Brit + Co)
11. DIY Lawn Flamingo Wall Lamps: Yep, everyone’s favorite pink bird is still red hot. Take those pretty birds off the lawn and bring them indoors in the form of a colorful wall lamp. This is one summer trend you’ll want to keep up all year long. (via Aww, Sam)
12. DIY Upcycled Paper Flower Chandelier: Skip the traditional tall vase in the middle of the table and opt for something a little more creative. Whether you cluster lots of mini bud vases down the length of the table or take your blooms to the ceiling a la this DIY paper garden chandelier, the latest flower-arranging trend is all about the boho-chic vibe. (via The House That Lars Built)
13. Urban Outfitters Donut Drink Holder Pool Float Set ($24): Since pool floats are *the* place to be this summer, it only makes sense that you’ll want your summer cocktail floating right there beside you. There’s a food-shaped option here for everyone, whether you want mini donuts or tropical fruit.
14. Spiked Glitter Raspberry Lemonade: It’s time to roll the bar cart out to the yard and serve up cocktails that will satisfy your guests but still leave you plenty of time to lounge on your pool float. Make things easier for yourself this summer by using premade mixers to make endless variations of sassy sips. (via Brit + Co)
15. DIY Monstera Palm Leaf Resin Tray: Last year was all about the pineapple, but 2016 just might be the year of the palm frond. From wallpaper to tablescapes to DIY trays, this botanical pattern is everywhere, and it’s sure to bring those tropical vibes to your next shindig. (via I Spy DIY)
16. Bando Fun Balloons ($8): For anyone who loves typography and spelling out every celebration’s theme, you’ll love the letter balloon trend. These metallic balloons are a fun and inexpensive way to make your next party totally pop.
17. Gourmet S’mores: You’re going to want to stock up on plenty of marshmallows this summer, because s’mores aren’t just for the kids anymore. Craft this Insta-worthy snack with whipped plain cream cheese, blueberry jam and toasted vanilla marshmallow for a truly gourmet bite. (via Cooking Classy)
18. Gummy Bear Shots: Speaking of childhood snacks that got all grown up, boozy gummy bears are the coolest snack on the block this summer. They’re easy to make and even easier to eat. Just make sure to keep them away from the kiddos! (via Brit + Co)
What’s your favorite summer entertaining trend? Follow us on Pinterest for even more party ideas.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.