16 Recipes to Make for Pigs in a Blanket Day
Let’s face it: The only thing better than a hot dog is, well, a super cute miniature version of a hot dog wrapped in flaky pastry dough. Who doesn’t love miniature snack food? Thankfully, someone designated a whole day to honor pigs in a blanket, the savory finger food that straddles childhood and adulthood perfectly. What’s the best way to celebrate this magical holiday? By cooking a batch of every kind of pig in a blanket out there and sampling each one with your best pals, of course! Try one (or all) of these 16 piggies for the special occasion.
1. Everything Pigs in a Blanket: If a bagel and a hot dog had a baby, it would be these tasty pigs in a blanket coated in everything bagel spice. Though the recipe calls for Dijon mustard dipping sauce, would it be so wrong to dip these little bites in cream cheese and call it breakfast? (via The Suburban Soapbox)
2. Crispy Phyllo Wrapped Hot Dog Mummies: Don’t be afraid of these mummies. Hot dogs wrapped in phyllo dough are a playful take on the classic puff pastry-wrapped cocktail wieners. Even more fun are the candy or mustard eyes you can add for spooky Halloween vibes. (via Delightful Mom Food)
3. Chili Cheese Pretzel Bites: Eating a chili cheese dog isn’t the cutest look, but who cares — they’re freakin’ delicious! On the other hand, chili cheese pretzel bites *are* very cute, and not too messy to eat. The chili is contained within its pretzel casing, which helps prevent spillage. But keep a napkin handy, just in case. (via Cooking for Keeps)
4. Chinese Hot Dog Buns: One of the greatest things about Asian bakeries is their ability to always keep a hot-dog-centric pastry on hand. A hot dog encased in moist milk bread might not be the pastry you were craving when you stepped into the bakery, but when it’s sitting in front of you, you won’t be able to say no. (via The Woks of Life)
5. Carrots in a Blanket: At first glance, these look like ordinary pigs in a blanket. Upon further inspection, you’ll realize these are actually carrots wrapped in vegan puff pastry dough. Sure, it’s not a hot dog, but if your goal is healthy eating, these might trick your brain into thinking you’re eating real hot dogs. (via Sandra Vungi Vegan)
6. Reuben Pigs in Blankets: Channel that inspiration from your local deli into mini hot dogs. Caraway seeds give rye bread their distinct flavor, so of course they’re the key ingredient in these Reuben/pig-in-a-blanket hybrids. Don’t forget the Thousand Island dressing. (via Food Network)
7. Jalapeño Poppers in a Blanket: If you love spicy food so much you’d accept a dare to eat a whole jalapeño, these poppers will be no sweat for you. While a layer of gooey cheese helps cool things down, eating these peppers wrapped in dough is still a game of roulette; some jalapeños are fierier than others. You should probably take a bite of each popper just to be safe. (via The Little Kitchen)
8. Hogs in a Blanket: For a hearty appetizer you can eat with a toothpick, upgrade your blanketed cocktail weenies to grown-up sausages. Meet hogs in a blanket: cuts of andouille sausage wrapped in puff pastry and topped with sweet and spicy chutney mustard. (via Food and Wine)
9. Spicy Pigs in a Blanket With Homemade Ranch Dressing: Just like Buffalo wings, these spicy hot dog wraps go great with a cool and creamy ranch dressing (or blue cheese dip, if you’re loyal to that camp). Pair with a beer and you’re ready for game day. (via Cooking and Beer)
10. French Toast Sausage Roll-Ups: Fast food novelties have nothing on these homemade French toast roll-ups. They’re easy to make while still looking impressive. Both kids and adults will love their dunkability and the convenience of not having to use a knife and fork. (via Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice)
11. Mini Corn Dogs: Bring a little county fair to your kitchen with these mini corn dogs. Though they do require deep frying, don’t be intimidated. The cornmeal batter holds its form well and doesn’t splatter, making for a stress-free deep-frying experience. (via I Am a Food Blog)
12. Bacon-Wrapped Mini Hot Dogs With Thai Sweet Chili Sauce: Not all heroes wear capes — and not all cocktail wieners wear blankets made of puff pastry. These mini dogs know how to stand out at a party with a crispy outer layer of fried bacon. Served with sweet Thai chili dipping sauce, this snack is salty-sweet heaven. (via Leelalicious)
13. Mini Corn Dog Muffins: If you’re not planning on tackling deep frying, these baked corn dog muffins are an easy, crave-fulfilling substitute. They’re healthier too, thanks to oil-free baking. Try these with a honey mustard dip made with spicy Dijon mustard. (via Holly’s Cheat Day)
14. Chorizo, Caramelized Onion and Poblano Sausage Rolls With Creamy Cilantro Dip: Spice up your sausage rolls with some Latin flavors. Usher in Cinco de Mayo with these sweet and spicy bites and a margarita in hand. The creamy cilantro dip made with sour cream is a total win, but guacamole or a bottle of Tapatio would be a festive addition too. (via Host the Toast)
15. Cinnamon Roll Pigs in a Blanket Dunkers: Is it the weekend yet? These breakfast sausages wrapped in cinnamon rolls are a brunch fantasy come true. Fans of the salty-sweet flavor combination will all agree that the drizzle of cream cheese frosting takes this treat over the top. If that wasn’t enough, you can indulge a little more by dunking these rollups in a rich maple syrup sauce. (via Oh Sweet Basil)
16. Honey Sriracha Pigs in a Blanket: You can customize the spice level in these sweet and spicy appetizers. Just alter the ratio of honey to Sriracha for more or less heat. If you’re a hot sauce fanatic, why not pair with a straight up Sriracha dipping sauce? We double (hot) dog dare you. (via Hip Foodie Mom)
Follow us on Pinterest for more easy + delicious recipe ideas.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)