20 Handy Dandy Weather Apps
Not quite singin’ in the rain when the sky suddenly turns black and a torrential downpour hits your fair city? For those who yearn to be ever-prepared, we’ve got your back in the form of 20 helpful weather apps. Whether you’re a “just gimme the basics” type of person, a borderline meteorologist or even a proud crazy cat lady (yup, cat lady), there’s a forecast app that’ll have you re-enacting the scene from the famous musical.
1. Yahoo Weather: Winner of the Apple 2013 Design Award, this app is as pretty as it is useful. Based on what’s going on outside, the backdrop changes to a gorg Flickr picture to reflect current conditions. How cool is it that? You just have to glance at a photo to know if it’s foggy or rainy or sunny. While the app let’s you geek out with weather stats, it’s also just a simple, yet accurate and nicely designed app. (Free on iOS and Android)
2. The Effing Weather: Does the idea of having an app that informs you about the weather while simultaneously providing you with your daily laugh tickle your fancy? If it’s “effing cold outside,” this app will let you know in those exact words. And while keeping you updated on the effing dealings of Mother Nature, this app lets you customize your background and share your local forecast with all your homies on good ol’ Facebook. (Free on iOS)
3. Rain Alarm: Have you ever uttered the words, “I wish I had a gadget that would let me know when the sky is gonna do that black magic thing where it starts raining when the sun is shining?” You don’t ever have to have that thought again thanks to this neat weather app. When rain is impending, it lets you know with a quick alert. If you wanna know more, like how long this unwanted guest plans to stay, simply open the app for more detailed info about that pesky rain cloud. (Free on iOS and Android)
4. Forcast.io: This guy features great design and easy-to-understand maps and charts. If you really just want an app that does its job in the prediction department, and that isn’t clunky or difficult to navigate, this is a dream come true. (Free on Android)
6. UNIQLO WAKE UP: Picture this: You’re bleary-eyed, just stirring from sweet, sweet dreamland. Your eyes will scream (yes, they will make audible noises) if you pick up your brighter-than-bright phone to check the forecast. What do you do? Install this awesomely cool app. Not only does it serve as an alarm clock, but it wakes you up with a different song based on what the weather’s like that day. Happiness in a single download!
7. Dark Sky: No need for a PhD in meteorology to understand what’s happening up above, Dark Sky makes the intricacies of weather reading as easy as 1, 2, 3. And, it looks good doing it, too. ($3.99 on iOS)
8. TheVane: TheVane isn’t just about keeping you up to date on weather charts, it’s also about appealing to your “vain” side. Along the current temps and conditions, this rad app makes outfit suggestions for you based on what nature’s up to. It even helps you pack your bag with appropriate outfits for your next travel destination. Basically, this app was made for the Brit + Co girl or guy. (Free on iOS)
9. Weather Puppy: This takes “it’s raining cats and dogs” to a whole new level. With Weather Puppy, the dog of your choosing (including your own pup, if you feel so inclined) changes throughout the day to let you know in a snap what it’s like outdoors. With Weather Kitty, it’s all the same, but with a cute kitten keeping you informed. Either way, this paw-some app has us ooh-ing, but mostly aww-ing. (Free on iOS)
10. AccuWeather: A solid and, as the name describes, accurate app, this one gives you minute-by-minute weather updates and quick and easy access to all the need-to-knows, such as humidity percentage, wind speed and more. (Free on iOS and Android)
11. Swackett: You know us, we love anything and everything creative, and this app certainly falls into that category. Most weather apps will show you the temperature and conditions on the main page. Swackett tells you what it’s like in the world just outside your door with a little character who has on a different outfit based on the weather (don’t worry, temps are also included). If it’s cold, he/she might be rocking a hoodie and jeans. If it’s sunny, a fun tee and cargo shorts. And this isn’t even the best thing about this app. The best thing is that it sort of functions like a personal assistant. Tell it some of your favorite activities, and when the weather is just right for one of them, it’ll let you know. (Free on iOS and Android)
13. Weather Underground: This app tells you EVERYthing you need to know about your surroundings. Not only can you discover your current weather conditions at the touch of a button, it also lets you report on local happenings for other users. On top of that, Weather Underground shows the air quality, pollen count and any illnesses that are going around wherever you may be. (Free on iOS and Android)
16. Beautiful Weather: Tricked out with music, hilarious animations and local and global weather at-a-glance, this app is a great go-to middle ground between geeky weather downloads and entertainment-only purposes (ahem, Weather Whiskers). (Free on iOS)
17. Authentic Weather: Like Effing Weather, Authentic Weather is all about telling it like it is, in the most explicit terms possible. If you’re prone to cursing when the weather doesn’t suit your needs, listen carefully, and you can probably hear it whispering to you in the wind. ($1.99 on iOS)
18. 1Weather: This Android-only app receives glowing reviews from users and app-raters alike, and after seeing the array of background choices and its precise and up-to-date weather predictions, we have to give it the Brit + Co stamp of approval, too. (Free on Android)
19. Lumy: Remember when we featured this neato app a few days ago? Well, we’re still smitten. It updates you on the weather all while notifying you of the perfect “golden opportunity” (aka when the natural lighting is just right) for capturing a stunning photo. ($1.99 on iOS)
20. Poncho: Only available in a few lucky East Coast cities, this service will send you funny, punny personalized text messages that tip you off to what to expect (and sometimes, what to wear) that day. Tell it what time you wake up and what you like to do, and we guarantee you’ll rise with a smile. Even when it’s telling you it’s too damn cold for its own good out there.
Which weather-telling tool has you racing to the app store? Share your favorites with us below!