It’s refreshing to see that so many bakers are stepping away from the buttercream roses and fondant decorations, however cool they may be, in favor of more unique desserts. From geode wedding cakes to watercolor frosting design, we’ve come pretty far, but a new trend is taking us even further. From the outer reaches of the galaxy to the center of the Earth’s core, science-inspired desserts are our new obsession. Whether you’re passionate about dinosaurs or the Andromeda galaxy, these 17 treats offer something for everyone.
1. Chocolate Chips Ahoy Dinosaur Cake: This towering chocolate cake is almost as majestic as the dinosaurs that decorate it. Crumbled chocolate chip cookies give it a prehistoric look that tastes like pure heaven. (via Butterlust)
2. Gel Electrophoresis Cookies: It may take a scientist to understand the process of gel electrophoresis, but anyone can enjoy these cookies. Hey, anything to make biology feel more accessible! (via Not So Humble Pie)
6. Galaxy Jell-O: The best part of this Jell-O isn’t that it looks like outer space. It’s that it’s made in little jars, so you can grab and go whenever you’re having a galactic snack attack. (via Bakingdom)
7. Zodiac Constellation Cake: If you love reading your horoscope, this cake is for you. It’s decorated with the signs of the zodiac, and filled with a brightly colored space cake. (via Sprinkle Bakes)
8. Galaxy Macarons: Macarons can be fussy to make, but these are totally worth it. Not only are they as colorful as the stars themselves, but they’re also vegan, thanks to the use of aquafaba. (via Avocados and Ales)
9. Space Donuts: These donuts are vegan and baked instead of fried, so you get all the same sweet goodness you love without having to wipe oily hands on your jeans when you’re done. (via Blueberry Vegan)
12. Black Velvet Nebula Cake: When the phrase “too pretty to eat” was first uttered, it must have been about this cake. Decorated with dreamy, colorful galaxy formations, this cake should be in a museum, not on a dessert plate. (via Sprinkle Bakes)
14. Galaxy Bark: This recipe just goes to show that candy bark shouldn’t be relegated to the holiday season. It’s a sweet treat covered in edible glitter stars and pearl dust, perfect for sharing with your friends and family. (via MomDot)
17. Galaxy Layer Cake: For a more subtle star-tinged dessert, try this layer cake. It’s slathered with a purple cream cheese frosting, filled with blackberries, and covered with a scattering of glittering sprinkles. (via Sweetapolita)
Follow us on Pinterest for even more unique dessert recipes.