There’s nothing more exciting than decorating a new apartment with brand new furniture that didn’t come off Craigslist. What’s not so fun is having to measure the room down to the quarter inch to make sure you can actually get your couch up the stairs and into your small space (#tinylivingproblems). But don’t let a small living room get you down — you can still get the entertaining space of your dreams with a little creativity. If that giant plush sectional won’t fit into your space yet, here are 13 seating options that work great in small spaces without sacrificing an inch of style.
1. DIY Reupholstered Ottoman: Cool furniture doesn’t have to cost a fortune. In fact, you can find some real treasures at a thrift store and — with some new fabric — totally change the look of the piece. (via Brit + Co)
2. Urban Outfitters Colette French Seam Settee ($1250): Featuring a higher back and arms, a settee is a great way to fill an extra-small space without committing to a full-sized couch. You won’t be able to sleep on it, but it’s a super comfy place for your next Netflix binge.
3. DIY Custom Bench: A bench serves as multi-purpose seating that can be tucked right along the wall or in a hallway to save space. It’s a great place to put your shoes on in the morning or set your mail down while you take off your coat. Bring it out for extra dining room seating during dinner parties, or pull it into the living room on game night. (via Brit + Co)
4. Serena & Lily Hanging Rattan Chair ($495): Apparently Kendall Jenner has a hammock in her breakfast nook, so we’re totally digging the idea of a hanging chair in the living room. Zero floor space sacrificed, major style points earned.
5. DIY Furry Stool: You can’t go wrong having a few extra stools sitting around, especially when they’re as cute as this one. They not only provide soft and comfortable seating, but you can also use them as footstools. (via A Beautiful Mess)
6. Urban Outfitter’s Frankie Chair ($379): If you’re really tight on space, a small armless chair is a great way to conserve real estate. Bonus: You’ll have a lot more room for other decorating must-haves like side tables and cool lamps.
7. DIY Hammock Chair: If you love the idea of channeling your inner child and swinging while you burn through your reading list, DIY a hammock chair to perfectly complement your decor. (via Brit + Co)
9. West Elm Sivas Wool Pouf ($149+): The right pouf can be used as a side table, foot stool or decor as needed. Set a tray on it so it doubles as a coffee table when it’s not being used as seating. Or just let your cat take it over.
10. DIY Fur Bench: Set up a little bench at the end of your bed and pile extra blankets and pillows on top of it. It’s adorable, doesn’t take up much room and you can always move it into the living room when you’re hosting. (via Nourish and Nestle)
11. Poly + Bark Louis Ghost Style Armchair ($149, on sale): A lucite or clear chair gives the illusion that it’s not taking up much space, which can be really helpful when you don’t want your studio apartment to look too cluttered. Trust us: It’s almost like it’s not even there.
12. Urban Outfitter’s Maribel Folding Chair ($329): If you’re really tight on space (or just need to clear the living room), consider a chair that folds flat. Tuck it away when you’re not using it and pull it out when you need another seat. Or use it when you need a nap. It does look super comfy.
13. DIY Woven Floor Pouf: Give your little ones their own seating with a woven floor pouf. The miniature size means it’s perfect for pillow fights. And for moving them out of the way when needed. (via Brit + Co)
Are you struggling with how to decorate a small space? Follow us on Pinterest for more small space hacks and DIY decor projects!