Summer is practically an open invitation to embrace a more laid-back ‘tude and test-drive a slew of trends that are slightly outside of your comfort zone. Armed with a checklist of fashion essentials to snag ahead of all your upcoming adventures, there’s nothing standing between you and best-dressed status. So what are you waiting for? Don’t let a case of the outfit blahs deter you from putting your most stylish foot forward. While we don’t normally like to be dictated by age-old “rules,” these 16 Instababe-approved summer style commandments are about to change the way you dress.
1. Don’t leave home without the It bag of the season. If not Cult Gaia’s ubiquitous bamboo ark bag, then one of newcomer Bembien’s handwoven rattan bags is guaranteed to make a splash poolside. Perfect for a stint in paradise or rooftop sips in the city, this hero piece calls for a cold-shoulder frock and your best dancin’ shoes.
2. Wear your one-piece as a bodysuit. Blair Eadie strikes again! Not only is Bee fulfilling our millennial pink dreams, but it’s her makeshift use of a striped one-piece as a bodysuit that’s resulting in an “aha” moment of sorts. That and her island girl-inspired palm leaf skirt. We digress.
3. Embrace COLOR. You don’t have to tell us (or blogger babe Courtney Quinn) twice. When in doubt, sashay into the boardroom wearing hot pink trousers and canary yellow ankle-strap steppers. No regrets.
4. Rock head-to-toe white. Ow, ow! Frédérique Harrel plays the role of HBIC by showing err’body once and for all that head-to-toe white can be done. She successfully mixes business with a side of pleasure by teaming her ivory co-ord with trend-right mules.
5. Go bold or go home with flares. Groovy, baby. Dare to be seen in a pair of Marcia Brady-inspired flares featuring festi-cool flair. Proceed to channel the ’70s with a simple spaghetti strap tank and retro sunnies.
6. Playful straps to change up your handbag game. Take charge, starting with some next-level bag swag. In a sea of stylishly clad babes, a tassel-happy interchangeable strap or a pom-pom keychain will take any getup from zero to 100 like that.
7. Let your sneakers do the talking. There’s no such thing as blasé sneakers in this style MVP’s playbook. We would 10/10 recommend these bad boys (notice the red chili peppers, natch) for a Taco Tuesday outing or your morning commute. Any takers?
8. Logo tee + frayed hem jeans. Goodness knows this isn’t the first time (nor will it be the last!) that we’ve seen a certain Gucci logo t-shirt making the rounds. Complete your cool-girl uniform with some frayed-hem jeans and open-toed sandals for a downtown LA vibe that even east coast gals can get behind.
9. Style a tropical shirt with high-waisted cutoffs. Being mistaken for a tourist has honestly never been such a compliment. Word on the street is that tropical shirts are slated to be everywhere, and we don’t hate it. Just add high-waisted denim cutoffs for a backyard luau or a summer block party.
10. Mix ‘n’ match prints. We know what you’re thinking: Print mixing is always in. Consider this a friendly PSA to embrace your inner Leandra Medine a la a slew of summer motifs. Nautical stripes, a floral corset skirt, and strappy sandals — it must be a street fair.
11. Layer a dress over a tee. On the rare occasion you’re not being exposed to sauna-like temps, take the opportunity to layer a slip (or apron) dress over a tee for instant girl-next-door appeal. Sophia Rosemary gets bonus points for incorporating summer-ready gingham into the mix.
12. Pajama-esque dressing FTW. Girl, do less. Everyday PJs on the streets of NYC (or anywhere for that matter) is totally the norm. For an off-duty vibe, tie up the ends and slip into some silky bottoms for a whole lotta YAS.
13. Try an LBD with classic Chucks. Make an old LWD new again by throwing some worn-in Chuck Taylors into the mix for instant street cred. The juxtaposition between tomboy and femme gets us every. Single. Time.
14. Embroidered denim or bust. Oh, hey girl, heyyy. From festival grounds to a Coney Island date night, reworked vintage shorts are currently all the rage. Grab some vintage Levi’s and an assortment of rad iron-on patches for your own take on summer 2017’s most coveted denim trend.
15. Edge up a colorful dress with tough-girl ankle boots. Why the heck not toughen up a vibrant printed frock with some mirrored sunnies and biker boots? Can you say coolest babe on the block?
16. Top off every #OOTD with a colorful hat. In millennial speak: Do it for the ‘gram. Nothing says out of office until further notice like a big ol’ floppy straw hat that’s embroidered with a snarky phrase or decorative poms. Sign us up, please.
What style commandments do you swear by? Follow us on Pinterest for more summer styling tips!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.