The Backpack Is Back! 20 Rucksacks, Packs, and Knapsacks We Love
Backpacks have been making a serious comeback in fashionable circles lately, and we’re totally on board. You can one-strap it, two-strap it, no-strap it if humanly possible, or even DIY embroidered initials to it like the old L.L. Bean staple you had in elementary school. We especially love the idea of plastering our backpack with powerful, feminist patches. However you decide to wear it, this classic trend will give your back a break, especially when carrying laptops, iPads, and all your other essentials. Here’s a list of radical backpacks for ladies, for the tropical adventurer to the modern girl scout.
1. Fjallraven Kanken Classic Backpack ($75): This is definitely on the modern scout side of things, but these bags have been popping up on hipsters, prepsters, geeks, and fashionistas everywhere. And they come in just about every color under the sun.
2. Mygreen Canvas Backpack ($35): Going somewhere tropical? Or wishing you were? These canvas backpacks available on Amazon Prime add a pop of color to any adventure or ordinary day.
3. Shiu Shiue Water Resistant Backpack ($70): Don’t let inconvenient weather patterns turn your precious pages of writing into a sopping wet disaster. So weather, ahem, whether you’re traveling to a tropical place or live in the Pacific Northwet, this super cute backpack has is ready for the rainy season.
4. Leaper Geometric Canvas Backpacks ($25): Water bottle? Check. Pens and pencils? Check. With a compartment for every item you need, this backpack does the thinking for you when it’s time to pack and go.
5. Tibes Waterproof Backpack ($23): This vintage-inspired knapsack is a little smaller than a backpack but bigger than a purse. With enough room for a notebook, snacks, and an extra layer, this knapsack is equipped for acts of spontaneity.
6. Herschel Heritage Backpack ($60): Three zippers, two straps, and two stripes. This pack will allow you to bring everything you need to conquer the world in style.
7. The Bedford Bag ($85): Remember The Bedford? This bag reached successful funding on Kickstarter and is now available for to the public. It’s three bags in one: tote, messenger bag, and backpack. Woot woot!
8. Abaca Malinao Backpack ($95): When a stroll to your friend’s house leads you to stumble upon a local farmers’ market, fill this woven backpack with a bushel of fresh sage to whip up your favorite fall sage recipes.
9. Baggu Backpack ($42): Known for super simple designs in bright hues, Baggu is our go-to for totes, zip pouches, and small leather satchels. This backpack is sturdy enough to carry a laptop but light enough to throw in your suitcase or a tote if you foresee needing an extra bag.
10. Herschel Survey Backpack ($55): Herschel backpacks seem to be all the rage these days. While known for their backpacking-style packs, we favor this simple pack, perfect for laptops, magazines, and the like.
11. Incase Terra Campus Pack ($100): Nerd alert! Yes, this backpack is made by Incase, known for utility cases, but it’s actually pretty cute, right? Such a pretty neutral color will match with warm colors in fall and spring palettes too.
12. Everlane Snap Backpack ($68): Brand new on the backpack scene is Everlane! Everlane is a newish company looking to shift the retail space. They have a small collection of luxury essentials, never over $100.
13. Everlane Zip Backpack ($48): Both Everlane backpacks were created with the tech generation in mind. They have built-in padded laptop pockets and are made with waterproof lining and leather details throughout.
14. Kinies Handmade Satchel ($60): Crafted by a pair of sisters, this backpack is simple and sweet. It looks big enough to carry a stack full of magazines, your lunch, and a large drawing pad.
15. Kinies Handmade Expandable Backpack ($42): It’s a backpack. No, it’s a purse. No, it’s a weekender? This versatile bag transforms into three different sizes; just call it the sisterhood of the traveling bag.
16. Ban.do Rose Parade Backpack ($70): If you love roses and books as much as Belle, add this floral knapsack to your closet. You’ll look like a delicate princess while your bag burdens the weight of all those books you borrowed from the library.
17. Madewell Canvas Foldover Backpack ($98): Do you find yourself packing in a hurry and fumbling with pockets and zippers? This simple bag has two compartments and no frills.
18. Hynes Leather Metallic Backpack Purse ($55): Speaking of frills, this decadent bag will outshine every backpack in the classroom or on the street. Skip the purse, and opt-in for a two-strap bag.
19. Freitag Fringe Backpack ($280): If you’re not familiar with Freitag, get ready to feel green. Their bags are made using recycled billboard materials and each is 100 percent unique.
20. This Is The Futura ($45): And finally, a font nerd’s old-school style pack.
Have you started rocking a backpack again? If so, any favorites we should know about? Let us know @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.