The only thing more exciting than taking our sweaters out of storage each fall is getting ready to eat tons of cozy comfort food. And whether you love making slow cooker stews or vegan casseroles, nothing makes the flavors pop like using fresh herbs. But instead of basil and parsley, as the weather gets colder look toward woodsier herbs, like rosemary, bay leaf, and sage. Sage in particular adds an earthy, smokey flavor to your meals. These 14 recipes show just how far a few sprigs can go toward transforming your favorite hearty autumn meals.
1. Three-Herb Roasted Chicken: Stuff your chicken with lemon and onion to keep it moist inside, and to infuse the whole chicken with flavor. A honey-herb mixture rubbed into the meat beneath the skin makes the bird come out a lovely golden color. (via Foraged Dish)
2. Cauliflower Soup With Fried Sage and Brown Butter: Cauliflower gets remarkably silky when blended, making for a luscious soup. A drizzle of brown butter and crispy sage add depth to each bowl. (via Yes to Yolks)
3. Spaghetti Squash With Sage and Walnuts: Spaghetti squash is a low-carb alternative to traditional pasta. Toss it with herbs, nuts, and cheese for a noteworthy meal. (via The Modern Physic Garden Kitchen)
4. Prosciutto-Wrapped Turkey Fillets: Lean, tender turkey fillets wrapped in prosciutto are great any time of year (turkey’s not just for Thanksgiving!). Stuff them with moist sausage stuffing for an even more satisfying meal. (via Easy Peasy Foodie)
5. Seared Scallops With Butternut Squash Risotto: Seared scallops may seem summery, but paired with the right ingredients, they’re fitting for colder weather. Creamy, slightly sweet butternut squash risotto is the perfect accompaniment. (via The Girl on Bloor)
7. Cabbage and Bread Soup: Along the lines of ribollita, this peasant-style stew is made with country bread. It soaks up all the delicious flavor from cooked cabbage, kale, and bacon, and adds heft to your dinner. (via Ginger and Biscuit)
8. Chicken and Mushroom Stroganoff: If you ate beef stroganoff from a boxed mix as a kid, your mind will be blown by this dish. It’s fragrant, creamy, and topped with crispy sage. (via Drizzle and Dish)
9. Spring Pasta With Mushrooms and Kale: Earthy kale and mushrooms make this pasta a warming, satisfying autumn meal. Throw in some pine nuts and herbs to make it taste extra indulgent. (via Our Salty Kitchen)
10. Pork Saltimboca: Super savory and deliciously saucy, pork saltimboca is a dinner party dish you can make on weeknights too. You’ll want to serve it with plenty of pasta, potatoes, or bread, so you can scoop up every last bit of sauce. (via Just a Little Bit of Bacon)
13. Gnocchi With Sage and Butternut Squash: Tender gnocchi tossed with sage burnt butter is perfectly balanced by sweet butternut squash in this recipe. Add a sprinkle of Parmesan and you’ve got heaven on a plate. (via My Little Larder)
14. Oven Risotto With Spinach, Cauliflower, and Sage: Cooking risotto in the oven gives you creamy results with none of the stirring. Nutty roasted cauliflower, green spinach, and sage round out the dish. (via Drizzle & Dip)
Add more fall flavors to your life by following us on Pinterest.