Let’s be real: Cuddling up with a bowlful of steaming hot soup doesn’t quite have the same effect as digging into a big ol’ bowlful of pasta. Thankfully, there are a ton of ways to indulge in a healthy way. Noodles made from squash, tofu and beans all make a great satisfying base for flavor-packed sauces; this collection of 17 recipes will show you how it’s done.
2. Mediterranean Shrimp Spaghetti Squash: Mediterranean flavors — feta, tomatoes, olives — abound in this tantalizing entree. Tender pieces of shrimp are a nice touch, but they can easily be left out for a vegetarian meal or swapped out with pieces of cooked chicken. (via That Hubert Kitchen)
3. Soyrizo Kelp Noodle Casserole (Vegan): You’ll love digging into this spicy Soyrizo casserole — the soy-based sausage gives the mix a welcome punch of spice. Let’s just say, this is not your grandma’s casserole. (via Fellowship of the Vegetable)
5. Zucchini Noodles Bolognese: Zucchini and red sauce are a match made in heaven and this recipe is no exception. The veggie noodles stand up oh-so-well to the thick, meaty and veggie-packed bolognese made entirely from scratch. (via A Happy Food Dance)
6. Spaghetti Squash With Mushrooms and Handmade Lemony Pesto: No doubt, lemony pesto is a surefire way to brighten up just about any dish — especially in the dead of winter. Parsley, basil or a mix of your favorite herbs all work well here to jazz up dinnertime. (via Natural Comfort Kitchen)
7. Tomato Basil Spaghetti Squash Bake: Now this is just too clever. The hollowed out spaghetti squash halves are loaded with all of the sauce ingredients and popped into the oven to bake. In other words, what we have here is one-pot pasta, spaghetti squash-style. (via Fettle Vegan)
8. Creamy Pumpkin Fettuccine: Tofu noodles make this creamy fettuccine Alfredo-like dish incredibly low-cal. And the best part? You’ll be sitting down to dinner in about 10 minutes. (via Food Faith Fitness)
9. Spaghetti Squash With Grape Tomatoes, Fresh Basil and Goat Cheese: Roasting winter tomatoes in a pan brings out all their natural sugars and makes for one outstandingly fresh sauce. Pair it with sautéed garlic, fresh basil, tangy goat cheese and a smattering of capers and pine nuts for the ultimate experience. (via Tasse d’Amour)
11. Zucchini Pasta With Tomato Sauce (Vegetarian): A quick, made-from-scratch marinara covers every strand of this tender zucchini pasta for a very fresh-tasting meal that’s ready in under 30 minutes. (via Chef Savvy)
13. Garlicky Spaghetti Squash With Chicken, Mushrooms and Kale: The garlicky chicken, mushroom and kale “sauce” would make for an excellent side dish in its own right, but when tossed with shreds of spaghetti squash, it becomes a filling meal. (via The Roasted Root)
14. Creamy Mushroom Sauce Over Spaghetti Squash (Paleo): Forget about cream of mushroom soup from the can. This recipe features a melange of fresh mushrooms and cashew-based sauce for a splendid, dairy-free upgrade. (via The Healthy Foodie)
What are your favorite healthy alternatives to traditional pasta? Share with us below!