Give These 17 Healthy Pasta Alternatives a Twirl Tonight
Let’s be real: Cuddling up with a bowlful of steaming hot soup doesn’t quite have the same effect as digging into a big ol’ bowlful of pasta. Thankfully, there are a ton of ways to indulge in a healthy way. Noodles made from squash, tofu and beans all make a great satisfying base for flavor-packed sauces; this collection of 17 recipes will show you how it’s done.
2. Mediterranean Shrimp Spaghetti Squash: Mediterranean flavors — feta, tomatoes, olives — abound in this tantalizing entree. Tender pieces of shrimp are a nice touch, but they can easily be left out for a vegetarian meal or swapped out with pieces of cooked chicken. (via That Hubert Kitchen)
3. Soyrizo Kelp Noodle Casserole (Vegan): You’ll love digging into this spicy Soyrizo casserole — the soy-based sausage gives the mix a welcome punch of spice. Let’s just say, this is not your grandma’s casserole. (via Fellowship of the Vegetable)
5. Zucchini Noodles Bolognese: Zucchini and red sauce are a match made in heaven and this recipe is no exception. The veggie noodles stand up oh-so-well to the thick, meaty and veggie-packed bolognese made entirely from scratch. (via A Happy Food Dance)
6. Spaghetti Squash With Mushrooms and Handmade Lemony Pesto: No doubt, lemony pesto is a surefire way to brighten up just about any dish — especially in the dead of winter. Parsley, basil or a mix of your favorite herbs all work well here to jazz up dinnertime. (via Natural Comfort Kitchen)
7. Tomato Basil Spaghetti Squash Bake: Now this is just too clever. The hollowed out spaghetti squash halves are loaded with all of the sauce ingredients and popped into the oven to bake. In other words, what we have here is one-pot pasta, spaghetti squash-style. (via Fettle Vegan)
8. Creamy Pumpkin Fettuccine: Tofu noodles make this creamy fettuccine Alfredo-like dish incredibly low-cal. And the best part? You’ll be sitting down to dinner in about 10 minutes. (via Food Faith Fitness)
9. Spaghetti Squash With Grape Tomatoes, Fresh Basil and Goat Cheese: Roasting winter tomatoes in a pan brings out all their natural sugars and makes for one outstandingly fresh sauce. Pair it with sautéed garlic, fresh basil, tangy goat cheese and a smattering of capers and pine nuts for the ultimate experience. (via Tasse d’Amour)
11. Zucchini Pasta With Tomato Sauce (Vegetarian): A quick, made-from-scratch marinara covers every strand of this tender zucchini pasta for a very fresh-tasting meal that’s ready in under 30 minutes. (via Chef Savvy)
13. Garlicky Spaghetti Squash With Chicken, Mushrooms and Kale: The garlicky chicken, mushroom and kale “sauce” would make for an excellent side dish in its own right, but when tossed with shreds of spaghetti squash, it becomes a filling meal. (via The Roasted Root)
14. Creamy Mushroom Sauce Over Spaghetti Squash (Paleo): Forget about cream of mushroom soup from the can. This recipe features a melange of fresh mushrooms and cashew-based sauce for a splendid, dairy-free upgrade. (via The Healthy Foodie)
What are your favorite healthy alternatives to traditional pasta? Share with us below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)