These Are the Home Trends That Are About to Dominate 2017
While the rest of us prepare to count down to the new year, those trendspotters at Pinterest are looking into their crystal ball (read: state-of-the-art data center) to predict what the most pinnable DIY ideas will be in 2017. The Pinterest Top 100 spans across multiple categories, including home, food, travel, men’s style, women’s style, beauty, parenting and personal interest, and what’s no longer trending in the home category is preeeeetty shocking! Goodbye subway tile, fiddle leaf fig plants and gold home accessories — our love affair with you was brief but v meaningful. Scroll on for the most popular DIY projects trending right this second. You’ll want to add these to your inspo boards ASAP!
10. Farmhouse Style (up 40 percent): If you’re already a fan of rustic chic, you’ll be all over its twin-sister, farmhouse chic. Get this look by repurposing your antiquing finds with a bit of white paint and a scuff finish. (via Liz Marie Blog)
See Also: 15 Rustic-Chic Spaces That Are Cozy AF
9. Acrylic (up 50 percent): Clear tables, trays and floating frames make any decor item look like a piece of modern art. Luckily, getting the look doesn’t have to come with a museum-piece price tag. (via Pneumatic Attic)
See Also: DIY Copycat Lucite Tray
8. Rustic Wood Statement Walls (up 51 percent): Pins are growing for this rustic alternative to subway tile. From shiplap to hewn logs to wood-look ceramics, this design trend is so *right now.* (via Kristi Murphy)
7. Heated Floors (up 54 percent): If a floor makeover is in your future, you might want to join thousands of other pinners and gather up some info on radiant heat. It’s an inexpensive upgrade, and your feet will forever thank you. (via EccoTemp)
6. The Color Blue (up 80 percent): Is this a sign that we’re breaking away from Scandi white interiors? Goodbye, gray shaker cabinets. Everyone is pinning navy and deep blue tones now in record numbers. (via deVOL Kitchens)
5. Copper (up 90 percent): If you’re so *over* chrome but gold just isn’t your thing, consider copper accessories to buy or DIY, like this Gardener’s Supply Company Gazebo Tabletop Terrarium ($50). Copper straddles two styles everyone loves right now: modern and rustic. Pro Tip: Copper pipe is so affordable and easy to work with, it’s a hacker’s dream come true.
4. Climbing Indoor Plants (up 200 percent): First it was the fiddle leaf fig, then it was the snake plant — pinners are in love with indoor plants that just won’t die. This year it’s looking like it will be the pothos plant, which is a bright green trailing vine that’s almost impossible to kill. (via Oh Joy)
3. Hygge (up 285 percent): Pronounced hoo-ga, this Danish concept of living very simply and cozily has sneaked its way into everyone’s feeds. If you want to get the look, add some warm, comfy textiles and soft lighting to your space (like this Gray & Willow Gabriella Textured Glass Pendant [$101]), and you’re golden.
2. Marble Wallpaper (up 303 percent): It’s not just for grandmas anymore! Today’s modern wallpaper designs make upgrading your space easy, affordable and not at all frumpy. This Murals Wallpaper Cracked Natural Marble Wallpaper ($35 per square meter) gives a chic finish on a budget.
1. Nightstands (up 721 percent): If there’s one piece of furniture we’ll be hacking in 2017, it’s apparently a nightstand (pins are up 721 percent!). Small, compact and extremely functional — it’s a project that’s so *doable,* you need to pin this one right now. (via eHow)
If you love staying on top of the latest trends, follow us on Pinterest for more DIY decor ideas!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.