Giving back during the holidays is nothing new to us. But this season, why not go the extra mile? After checking the obligatory fam and friends off of your list, give an extra little something to the people that make a difference but would never expect a gift. If the holidays are all about giving back, unexpected generosity seems like a simple way to spread meaningful holiday cheer.
To practice what we preach, we teamed up with JCPenney to give back to some folks who deserve the recognition but may not expect it. We gave three B+C gals — Micaela, Lindsay and Elena — gift cards to JCPenney with one task in mind: Buy presents that will make an unexpected someone smile. Check out the results!
B+C Creative Content Producer Lindsay wanted to surprise her former manager, Allegra, with something that would inspire her to slow down and have some me time. She gifted a Mixit™ Colorblock Blanket Wrap and a Colorama Coloring Book, a duo she hopes will encourage Allegra to have a comfy crafternoon to herself.
As for B+C Brand Planner Micaela, she recently joined a volleyball league in San Francisco without knowing any gals on the team. But teammate Tracey’s cheerful demeanor has done wonders to make Micaela feel like part of the team, even if she doesn’t know it. Micaela chose the Crosley Cruiser Deluxe Portable Turntable for Tracey, because, you know, she breaks so many records on the court ;)
When B+C Video Producer Elena enters her local cafe to get her daily dose of caffeine, she’s always greeted by the warm smile of the shop’s owner, Meena. Little to Meena’s knowledge, this smile — plus the constantly excellent almond milk latte — does wonders for Elena’s mornings. As Meena opens the cafe super early every day, Elena thought to gift her some cozy-boosting pajamas and sleep accessories for the little sleep she does get. She even wrapped the gift in a fluffy blanket and eye mask — how thoughtful is that?
What good would this practice be if we didn’t inspire others to follow suit? Check out the list below to inspire you to expand your own holiday giving list.
10 People in Your Life Who Deserve a Rad Gift
- Your building’s security guard. It’s easy to forget, but security guards are basically bodyguards for your building. AKA they’ve got your back! Thank the folks who make you feel safe with a thoughtful present.
- The dude who always rings you up at the corner store. Because he always greets you with a smile and a how-are-you, and he never judges you for that 10am candy bar purchase ;)
- The neighbors that always say hello. Because they help you feel a sense of community at home, and they’ve never complained about your barking dog… or those three times you accidentally set off your car alarm :)
- Your yoga instructor. Because she inspires zen and calmness on your busiest days, and you’ve totally mastered the chakrasana thanks to her.
- Your bus driver. Chances are you see this guy most days a week, but you rarely speak to him. Next time you’re handing him a bus token, give him a token of your appreciation too.
- Your doctor (and her assistant). Why? Because they let you know that your internet-induced hypochondria is silly talk and that mole on your arm is indeed a freckle, not cancer. What more reason could you need?
- That former coworker who still likes all your Facebook photos. Because you miss her! Remind her that just because you don’t see each other every day anymore doesn’t mean you don’t care about her. Plus, she makes you feel SO liked with all those FB thumbs-ups.
- Your dog walker. He takes care of your favorite furry friend, rain or shine. Anyone who makes your puppy happy has totally earned a thank you.
- Your grocery store’s deli guy. Because he was happy to teach you the difference between tenderloin and sirloin cuts, and he encourages you to be adventurous in the kitchen.
- Your boss. Because between all those tasks she asks you to take on, she truly cares about your happiness on the job. Thank the woman who fosters your career ambition day in and day out.
Who’s making your gifting list this year? Share with us on Twitter @BritandCo.
Video: Summer Strauch, Michael Sullivan, Oscar Coreas, Erinn Burke