8 Signs That It’s Time to Toss Your Bra
When did you buy yourself a new bra? If you can’t remember, it’s likely time. It’s okay, it happens to all of us. With busy lives, upgrading our intimates can sometimes fall pretty low on the priority list. So how do you know when it’s time for an undergarment overhaul? We turned to I Love a Good‘s Jenny Altman to school us on the top eight signs to look for. Keep reading to get schooled.
1. It hurts. “This should go without saying, but too many women put up with pain in the name of support. No, your bra should never hurt.”
3. It doesn’t measure up. “When you go for a proper fitting (everyone should) and realize you’re not the same size you wore in high school (spoiler alert: nobody is), it’s time for your bra to grow with you. Buy yourself a pretty new one.” (We like this Elle Macpherson Body Blaze Lace Bra [$69]).
4. Your waist is gone. “When you look down and realize there is no separation between your breasts and your waist, you need a more supportive and figure-flattering bra.”
5. Your bra looks worn. “Once you see hanging threads, when your white no longer looks white, or when you can’t read the tag — your bra has officially passed its “best by” date and is ready for an update.” Our advice? Try this Chantelle Le Marais Lace Unlined Plunge Bra ($88).
6. It’s not smiling anymore. “No, really. When the U of the wire is no longer in a perfect U shape around each breast (AKA: your wires have lost their smile), they have expired. Nobody wants a sad bra!”
7. You need a confidence boost. “Anytime you need a shot of self-esteem, throw out or donate your old bras and buy new ones that are better, prettier, and more comfortable. You’ll be amazed what a difference this makes.” (Trust us: Nothing will perk you up like this Hannah Lightly Lined Racerback Bra [$26]).
8. The wires are exposed. “When the wire pops out, there is no fixing it. Toss it. (And don’t put your bras in the dryer next time!)
Now go into your underwear drawer and throw out or donate all of the bras you have not worn in the last two weeks (with the exception of strapless/convertible or specialty silos that you will need again). If you are only wearing your top two to three bras, buy five new ones of those styles and rotate. The others are just taking up space.”
Want more fashion advice? Follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)