DIY These Cute Hand Warmers in Less Than 5 Minutes
No matter if we’re talking about handmade sweatshirts, comfy circle scarfs or pom pom ear muffs, we love warm and cozy winter accessories. But there’s a part of the body particularly hard to keep warm — your hands. So today, we’re making sure you’re all ready for whatever the next snowmageddon throws our way with a set of colorful hand warmers. They’re super easy to make, and above all, they’re incredibly practical.
— matching thread
— tailor’s chalk
— fabric scissors
— sewing machine
— free printable shapes template
1. Print out the downloadable template we created (above) and cut out your desired shape.
2. Fold your fabric in half and place your shape on it.
3. Trace the shape with your tailor’s chalk.
4. Pin the two shapes and cut them out.
5. Begin sewing the two shapes together and continue until you’ve almost reached your starting point. Leave a little part open so you’ll be able to turn it inside out.
6. Turn it inside out and fill it 2/3 full with rice.
7. Use a pin to block the rice from falling out of the opening. Then sew closed.
8. Repeat with any other shapes you want, and when you’ve sewn all you can sew, you’re done!
It’s all about creating the pattern: You can either draw whatever shape you’re after out on a sheet of paper and use that as your template or download our template and print it out. Then fold your fabric in half, pin it together and draw your shape on it. Voilà, it’s time to cut it and start sewing. Just remember to leave a little opening so you can fill your hand warmer with rice.
Turn your triangle inside out and fill 2/3 of the way up with rice, sew the opening closed and you’re done. To use your new, hip hand warmers, just heat them up in the microwave for 20-30 seconds, and they’re ready to hand out — warm and toasty!
These little guys make the perfect gift for anyone facing a cold winter. And you can totally customize them — choose any shape, size and fabric that suits your fancy. DIY them up, and stay warm out there.
Are you going to DIY these hand warmers? If so, share photos of them with the hashtag #britstagram.