Setting sail on a ginormous vessel into the middle of the ocean with hundreds or thousands of strangers is not a decision to take lightly. You’ll want to make sure that the food is decent, the drinks are flowing, the ports of call are fab, the entertainment is clutch and that you’ll have the opportunity to rest and relax. There are so many cruise lines to choose from, but if you are young at heart (or have little ones sailing with you), then there’s no better choice than a Disney cruise. If you’re under the impression that a Disney Cruise is just for kids, you’re so very wrong. Scroll on for five reasons why this cruise is just as awesome (if not more) for us grown-ups.
1. There are activities galore. Character meet-and-greets, old-school shuffleboard, trivia nights: There’s a whole schedule of events for each day on board. For those who like a party, check out the pirate-themed deck soiree (time to pull out your striped shirt and hoop earrings!). If you’re looking to workout, they’ve got a plush fitness center with ocean views and a swanky spa. There are big pools, smal pools, water slides, movies playing poolside and water soaked games. Last but not least, the ports of call! On the Caribbean cruises they often make a pit stop at Serenity Bay, an adults-only beach with yummy rum drinks.
2. The rooms are tricked out. If you want to avoid everything and everyone you can hibernate in your room. The TV features plenty of choices including recent theatrical releases and a gazillion Disney and Pixar movies. Splurge on a room with a view so you can watch the sea go by. If you opt for an inside room instead, you’ll get a swanky virtual porthole. You can’t deny there’s something so calming about the soft, subtle rocking of the ship while you lounge.
3. And then there’s the food. The Disney Cruise Line does this thing called rotational dining where every night you visit a different dining establishment that always has some sort of Disney magic involved (like the epic dining experience that is Animator’s Palate). You have the same waitstaff at every meal, so they get to know your preferences and become part of your onboard family. Beyond the over-the-top dinners there are buffets, quick services spots and room service 24/7. And yeah, it’s all included.
4. They’ll entertain you. You’ve napped. You’ve eaten. You’ve spent hours upon hours at the pool. Now what? Get your entertainment on. Disney’s job is keeping young and old entertained. They have HUGE Broadway-esque shows like Tangled: The Musical and Disney’s Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular with singing, dancing and beloved Disney characters. They also have a gigantic movie theater for playing, of course, Disney movies. But it isn’t all Frozen and Zootopia. If you want something more “Force” filled, the Disney Cruise Line will be doing their super awesome Star Wars Day at Sea again next year (a perfect excuse to pull out your Princess Leia outfit) where they play every single Star Wars movie all day long.
5. If you wanna avoid kids, you totally can. Let’s say you’re on a Disney Cruise sans kids or your little ones are camped out in the awesome kid’s club. Let’s also assume you aren’t in the mood to hang out with anyone else’s kids either. You can totally escape all those tots running amok. The boats all have adult-only dining so you can have a proper (and fancy) date night or hit up nightclubs and bars that range from pubs to slick cosmopolitan lounges.
Have you ever been on a Disney Cruise or are you thinking about it? Tweet us @BritandCo and let us know!
(Photos via Disney Cruise Line)