Fall is just around the corner, but for now, it’s still SO hot outside. We may have PSLs on the brain, but before we rush into spicy fall flavors, we still have a little bit of summertime left to enjoy. Sure, we can cool off with a *massive* bowl of ice cream, but variety is the spice of life. Yes, there will be La Croix cocktails and sangria popsicles while the weather is still warm. But we also can’t forget about our very favorite summer treat (or at least it’s better-for-you version). Here are 14 healthy ice cream alternatives to keep you cool for Labor Day Weekend.
1. Pineapple Dole Whips: If you’ve ever been to Disney World or the Dole Plantation, you’ll probably have tried this AMAZING whipped pineapple dessert. It’s like ice cream, but it’s not! In fact, it’s completely dairy free. Try this copycat recipe to make it at home. (via Around My Family Table)
3. 5-Minute Healthy Peach Frozen Yogurt: Making fro-yo pretty much couldn’t get easier than this. All you need to do is put four simple ingredients into your food processor, combine and go nuts. (via Just a Taste)
4. Cocktail Snow Cones: Whatever your favorite cocktail is, you can turn it into a boozy, frozen treat with this recipe. Personally, we’re going *crazy* over the frozen Strawberry Pisco, but that’s just us. (via Honestly Yum)
5. Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Shake: Let’s be honest: Is there ANYTHING yummier than the chocolate-peanut butter-banana combo? We don’t think so. Combine these ingredients with healthy dates to make an uber-yummy shake to keep you cool. (via Minimalist Baker)
6. Vegan Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches: This recipe, which is conveniently 100% vegan, calls for frozen bananas sandwiched between two cashew butter-based cookies. PRO TIP: Allow the cookies to cool completely before making the sandwich, or you may end up with a gooey (albeit delicious) mess. (via Detoxinista)
7. Mint Limeade Cooler: Sometimes, you’re just not in the mood for ice cream — and that’s when this cooler comes in handy. Just be sure to have a sieve on hand to get rid of any leftover pulp from your fresh limes. (via PaleOMG)
8. Hawaiian Shaved Ice With Mango and Coconut Milk: If you’ve traveled to Hawaii or Asia, you’ll instantly recognize shaved ice. This concoction is SUPER delicious — but don’t forget that you’ll need a shaved ice machine on hand to make it. (via Jeanette’s Healthy Living)
9. Frozen Banana Four Ways: Do you like rainbow sprinkles? Reese’s Cups? Almonds? Or maybe hazelnuts are more your jam? Don’t worry, whichever of these four delicacies appeals to you most, you can make it into a frozen treat with a single banana and some melted chocolate. (via The Little Epicurean)
10. No Bake Elvis Bars: Inspired by Elvis Pie, these vegan-friendly treats sub in chocolate for bacon and almond butter for peanut butter. PRO TIP: Make sure to eat these immediately after taking them out of the freezer, as they’re gonna melt pretty quickly! (via Oh She Glows)
11. Matcha (Green Tea) Banana “Ice Cream”: How many ingredients do you think it takes to make a delicious frozen treat? Four? Five? How about just three? Made with antioxidant-rich matcha tea, bananas and condensed milk, this ice cream is as easy to make as it is to devour. (via Oh How Civilized)
12. Healthy Ice Cream Sandwiches (Strawberry Banana): This ice cream sandwich recipe calls for graham crackers, so feel free to use any flavor or brand that you wish (or DIY it!). We recommend finding the ripest, sweetest bananas and strawberries possible for ultimate flavor. (via Divas Can Cook)
13. One-Ingredient Banana Ice Cream & Four Flavors: So, uh, blend some frozen bananas in a food processor. Yup, that’s literally it. Then, *GO CRAZY* with amazing flavors and mix-ins. We personally love the idea of Mint Dark Choco Chip Banana, but that’s just us. (via That Clean Life)
14. Gourmet Chia Seed Pudding: Served chilled, this completely vegan DIY pudding is full of omega-3s from chia seeds and almonds. In addition to being healthy, it’s completely delish, thanks to ingredients such as vanilla bean and sweet dates. (via Oh She Glows)
Follow us on Pinterest for more recipe ideas and drool-worthy healthy alternatives.