We are no longer in the “31 flavors” realm of ice cream anymore, folks. Sure, we will always love the classics like mint chip or cookies ‘n’ cream, but there are new duos stealing the spotlight. Bacon? Sesame seeds? Chiles? All fair game. Give your favorite summer treat a modern twist with these 20 innovative ice cream recipes.
2. Brown Butter Cherry Ice Cream: Oh, brown butter, let us count the ways we love thee. The rich nutty taste enhances the flavor of just about anything, especially when you mix in some cherries. (via Tutti Dolci)
3. Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream With Fudge + Graham Swirls: If all the different s’mores options we gave you aren’t enough, here is one more. (via Heather’s French Press)
7. Beer and Chocolate-Covered Pretzel Ice Cream: Oo-wee, chocolate-covered pretzels. We love you in all your sweet and salty glory. Pair them with a dark beer flavored ice cream and we think we might have a new addiction. (via Sift + Whisk)
8. Lavender White Chocolate Ricotta Ice Cream: Tasty recipes without an egg-base tend to become icy in the freezer. Combat this problem by adding a little bit of alcohol to your ice cream during the churning process. This blogger opted for vodka. (via Floating Kitchen)
12. Apricot Pistachio Ice Cream: It has been established that pistachio ice cream is delicious. (If you haven’t tried it yet, seriously get on that.) Add in tangy apricots that have been soaked in white wine and you’ve got a dangerous combination. (via Killing Thyme)
13. Strawberry Sour Cream Ice Cream: Strawberries and whipped cream are a tried and tested duo. Give the old classic a new twist by swapping whipped cream for sour cream for a tangy flavorful treat. (via The White Ramekins)
15. Chai Affogato With Honey-Sweetened Coconut Milk Ice Cream: Sweet nutty ice cream dropped in a bowl of cinnamon chai tea is something like a root beer float on steroids. And we love it. (via Cookie + Kate)
16. Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream: Whether we’re eight or 28 there is always going to be a place in our heart for PB+J. You can’t really go wrong when you swirl jam with peanut butter ice cream. (via The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen)
20. Lightly Poached Guava Ice Cream: To make this pretty pink treat, poach guavas in a sugar syrup, chop them up, add them to a homemade vanilla ice cream and serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon. (via Drizzle and Dip)
What crazy ice cream combinations are you going to try out this summer? We want to hear it!