These Boozy Sangria Popsicles Are the Perfect Way to Celebrate National Grape Popsicle Day
So National Grape Popsicle Day is a thing – yes, seriously – and while we will forever love those purple, lip-staining treats of our childhood, we wanted a more sophisticated take on the frosty confection to celebrate. A wine-based, spiked popsicle was the natural solution to this conundrum (hello, wine is just grape juice for adults, right?). These fruity Rosé Sangria Popsicles are the perfect hybrid of the always-classic ice pop, but made with summertime cocktail-approved ingredients. The recipe is a simple mix of rosé wine (no need to use anything too fancy), white grape juice and your fave seasonal fruit, and makes for a refreshing, eye-catching and pleasantly boozy treat for your gang’s next happy hour festivities.
Makes 8 popsicles
— 1/2 bottle dry rosé wine
— 1/2 cup white grape juice
— juice from 1/2 lemon
— 1 1/2 cups chopped mixed fruit (we used grapes, strawberries, plum and green apple)
— 1 Tablespoon sugar
— Popsicle molds and sticks
1. Chop up the fruit into bite-size pieces — it’s nice to cut the grapes in half and cut the strawberries into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Transfer the fruit to a small bowl and sprinkle over the sugar, then stir to combine, making sure all the pieces are evenly coated. Set aside and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes while you prep the rest of your ingredients.
2. Next, combine the rosé, grape juice and lemon juice together in a large measuring cup with a spout, and stir well. Taste and adjust if needed, adding a bit more grape juice if you want it sweeter or lemon to make it more tart.
3. At this point, the sugar should have drawn out some of the liquid from the fruit and softened the pieces slightly. Layer a couple of spoonfuls into each mold, gently stacking the pieces on top of each other — it’s nice to try and layer in alternating colors and have some strawberry slices placed along the sides. Then pour in the wine until the mold is filled just below the rim. Cover and freeze the popsicles for about an hour, then add in your sticks and freeze for another 3-4 hours until completely solid.
4. When you’re ready to serve, warm up the molds a bit with your hands to loosen them slightly, and then gently remove. These will be a bit meltier than a regular fruit juice popsicle because of the wine, so serve immediately or wrap them up and freeze for later.
Prep your fruit, cutting them into bite-size pieces. It’s nice to have a mix of colors and sweet, tart flavors that go well together. No rules here really; just pick your faves and chop away!
Adding a bit of sugar to the fruit helps draw out some of the moisture and makes them a better texture for freezing. This step is also called macerating and it comes in handy whenever you’re making fruit-based desserts or drinks.
Mix together the wine, grape juice and lemon juice until you have a nicely balanced drink — not too sweet and tart enough for your liking.
Add the fruit to the popsicle molds…
Followed by the liquid mix. Pour into each mold until just below the rim.
You can put in the sticks right away and forget about them, or put the popsicles in the freezer to set up for about an hour before adding them. This trick helps the sticks sit straight once fully frozen.
This recipe makes hosting summertime happy hour a breeze and will leave your friends beyond impressed and delighted. Plus, it has you covered for drinks and dessert!
And while these popsicles are great on their own, you can take them to another level by serving them in large wine or cocktail glasses and pouring over some leftover rosé or sparkling wine. It’s the ultimate spiked, slushy cocktail experience, and we highly recommend you give it a try!
And one last hot tip: If you have any leftover fruit and wine mix, pour it into an ice cube tray and add them to a glass of wine or bubbles for an extra flavorful way to keep your drinks cool this summer.
If you like this post, check out our drinks-inspired Pinterest board for more fun summer drink ideas!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.