Ditch the Mayo, These 12 Recipes Use Avocado Instead
Whether it’s slathered on our lobster rolls or used for dipping our crispy veggie fries in, we’ve long had a love affair with mayonnaise. But as much as we crave it, we all know that too much of a good thing is sometimes, well, bad. Using mashed, smashed or processed avocado is just one way you can hack a previously-loved mayonnaise recipe to make it a bit healthier. We’ve gathered 12 of the best recipes that use avocado instead of mayo to start you off with a little avo inspo.
1. Avocado Caesar Salad: If you love Caesar salad, but are scared by its high number of calories (and let’s face it, who isn’t?), then this is the perfect compromise: a Caesar dressing made with avocados instead of mayonnaise. (via What’s Gaby Cooking)
3. Skinny Avocado + Tomato Tuna Melts: Taking the tuna melt to a new and healthier level, this combination sees tuna smashed with avocado instead of the usual mayonnaise. That means we don’t have to feel guilty about the layer of oozy, melty cheese… right? (via Sweet Treats More)
4. Chicken Salad With Avocado Dressing: Not only is this version of chicken salad healthier than those slathered with mayo, but it also makes you look so much more sophisticated at the lunch table. (via Martha Stewart)
5. Avocado Deviled Eggs With Bacon: These eggs are so pretty it’s almost criminal to eat them. Topped with crispy bacon and pomegranate seeds, they are like little whipped bites of heaven. (via A Spicy Perspective)
6. BLT With Avocado Mayo: BLTs don’t have to be artery-cloggers. This lighter version of a sandwich classic combines whole wheat wraps with an avocado mayo, but still retains all the flavor. (via Dessert For Two)
8. Simple Raw, Vegan Avocado Mayonnaise: While we’re on the subject of mayonnaise substitutions, why not throw in a vegan mayonnaise recipe? No nasties in this one, just tasty, fresh ingredients. (via Choosing Raw)
9. Creamy Avocado Potato Salad: It’s BBQ time, and that can only mean one thing: potato salad. If you’re going to indulge at every gathering, might as well make this version of a summery favorite. (via The Shelled Pea)
12. Grilled Halloumi + Portabello Burgers With Spicy Avocado Mayo: You had us at halloumi. But seriously — avocado mayo on our burgers? We’ll never look at a classic patty the same way again. (via Down Healthy Lane)
Have you used avocado as a mayonnaise substitute in any of your recipes? We’d love to hear your ideas in the comments below!
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.