Ditch the Mayo, These 12 Recipes Use Avocado Instead
Whether it’s slathered on our lobster rolls or used for dipping our crispy veggie fries in, we’ve long had a love affair with mayonnaise. But as much as we crave it, we all know that too much of a good thing is sometimes, well, bad. Using mashed, smashed or processed avocado is just one way you can hack a previously-loved mayonnaise recipe to make it a bit healthier. We’ve gathered 12 of the best recipes that use avocado instead of mayo to start you off with a little avo inspo.
1. Avocado Caesar Salad: If you love Caesar salad, but are scared by its high number of calories (and let’s face it, who isn’t?), then this is the perfect compromise: a Caesar dressing made with avocados instead of mayonnaise. (via What’s Gaby Cooking)
3. Skinny Avocado + Tomato Tuna Melts: Taking the tuna melt to a new and healthier level, this combination sees tuna smashed with avocado instead of the usual mayonnaise. That means we don’t have to feel guilty about the layer of oozy, melty cheese… right? (via Sweet Treats More)
4. Chicken Salad With Avocado Dressing: Not only is this version of chicken salad healthier than those slathered with mayo, but it also makes you look so much more sophisticated at the lunch table. (via Martha Stewart)
5. Avocado Deviled Eggs With Bacon: These eggs are so pretty it’s almost criminal to eat them. Topped with crispy bacon and pomegranate seeds, they are like little whipped bites of heaven. (via A Spicy Perspective)
6. BLT With Avocado Mayo: BLTs don’t have to be artery-cloggers. This lighter version of a sandwich classic combines whole wheat wraps with an avocado mayo, but still retains all the flavor. (via Dessert For Two)
8. Simple Raw, Vegan Avocado Mayonnaise: While we’re on the subject of mayonnaise substitutions, why not throw in a vegan mayonnaise recipe? No nasties in this one, just tasty, fresh ingredients. (via Choosing Raw)
9. Creamy Avocado Potato Salad: It’s BBQ time, and that can only mean one thing: potato salad. If you’re going to indulge at every gathering, might as well make this version of a summery favorite. (via The Shelled Pea)
12. Grilled Halloumi + Portabello Burgers With Spicy Avocado Mayo: You had us at halloumi. But seriously — avocado mayo on our burgers? We’ll never look at a classic patty the same way again. (via Down Healthy Lane)
Have you used avocado as a mayonnaise substitute in any of your recipes? We’d love to hear your ideas in the comments below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)