Ditch the Mayo, These 12 Recipes Use Avocado Instead
Whether it’s slathered on our lobster rolls or used for dipping our crispy veggie fries in, we’ve long had a love affair with mayonnaise. But as much as we crave it, we all know that too much of a good thing is sometimes, well, bad. Using mashed, smashed or processed avocado is just one way you can hack a previously-loved mayonnaise recipe to make it a bit healthier. We’ve gathered 12 of the best recipes that use avocado instead of mayo to start you off with a little avo inspo.
1. Avocado Caesar Salad: If you love Caesar salad, but are scared by its high number of calories (and let’s face it, who isn’t?), then this is the perfect compromise: a Caesar dressing made with avocados instead of mayonnaise. (via What’s Gaby Cooking)
3. Skinny Avocado + Tomato Tuna Melts: Taking the tuna melt to a new and healthier level, this combination sees tuna smashed with avocado instead of the usual mayonnaise. That means we don’t have to feel guilty about the layer of oozy, melty cheese… right? (via Sweet Treats More)
4. Chicken Salad With Avocado Dressing: Not only is this version of chicken salad healthier than those slathered with mayo, but it also makes you look so much more sophisticated at the lunch table. (via Martha Stewart)
5. Avocado Deviled Eggs With Bacon: These eggs are so pretty it’s almost criminal to eat them. Topped with crispy bacon and pomegranate seeds, they are like little whipped bites of heaven. (via A Spicy Perspective)
6. BLT With Avocado Mayo: BLTs don’t have to be artery-cloggers. This lighter version of a sandwich classic combines whole wheat wraps with an avocado mayo, but still retains all the flavor. (via Dessert For Two)
8. Simple Raw, Vegan Avocado Mayonnaise: While we’re on the subject of mayonnaise substitutions, why not throw in a vegan mayonnaise recipe? No nasties in this one, just tasty, fresh ingredients. (via Choosing Raw)
9. Creamy Avocado Potato Salad: It’s BBQ time, and that can only mean one thing: potato salad. If you’re going to indulge at every gathering, might as well make this version of a summery favorite. (via The Shelled Pea)
12. Grilled Halloumi + Portabello Burgers With Spicy Avocado Mayo: You had us at halloumi. But seriously — avocado mayo on our burgers? We’ll never look at a classic patty the same way again. (via Down Healthy Lane)
Have you used avocado as a mayonnaise substitute in any of your recipes? We’d love to hear your ideas in the comments below!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.