While planning the wedding of your dreams is certainly exciting, it can also become stressful once costs start adding up. Luckily, there are plenty of simple steps you can take to avoid common budget busters as you work on bringing your beautiful vision to life. Here, Cari Izaguirre, the planner behind Glee star Heather Morris’ charming rustic wedding, shares six tips for hosting a spectacular celebration without breaking the bank.
1. Create your invitations online. Since hiring a custom designer can be expensive, Cari suggests creating the perfect invitations online. We’re big fans of sites like Wedding Paper Divas and Greenvelope, which offer printed or electronic options in many unique styles. Of course, we’re also HUGE fans of the talented couples who decide to DIY their own one-of-a-kind creations.
2. Don’t go overboard on transportation. If you really want to reserve a limo or some other type of vehicle, “Try and make full use of the hours you hire them for or what’s required by them,” says Cari. We like the idea of having a friend act as a chauffeur throughout the day, or even using a family member’s boat, motorcycle or vintage car when making your getaway.
3. Reuse flowers. Ceremony flowers can be reused during the cocktail hour or displayed throughout the reception space, explains Cari. Depending on the venue, you might not even need to add much else to the natural decor. “If it’s at a ranch with lots of flowers already, it’s not necessary to bring in a ton,” she says.
4. Skip the full bar. “Offer beer and wine, and maybe a couple signature drinks, rather than a full bar, which can get pricey,” Cari advises. Need some inspiration? Check out a few of our favorite ideas for signature cocktails, then choose one that’s a good match based on your color scheme and theme.
5. Be realistic. “Create a realistic budget, and itemize everything to try to keep on track,” says Cari. We suggest prioritizing what’s most important right from the start, and using helpful tech tools like Wedding Mapper or WeddingWire to keep tabs on how much you’re actually spending.
6. Watch out for expensive extras. Heather Morris and Taylor Hubbell’s wedding was one of Cari’s favorites, “mostly because it wasn’t a typical celeb-style wedding.” She loved that these two went with a simple and elegant rustic theme instead of the usual uber-glam wedding most celebrities do. When envisioning your own special day, make sure the celebration truly reflects you and your partner, and that you aren’t going overboard with expensive extras and add-ons simply because you think they’re expected.
How will you avoid overspending? Share your favorite cost-saving wedding tips below.