20 Must-Make Recipes for Your Memorial Day BBQ
Oh, summer, how do we love thee? Let us count the ways. First, there’s the weather, giving us every excuse to splurge on a new swimsuit (or three). Then there’s the results of the weather, which hopefully means a gorgeous, bronze tan (and not a painful sunburn). And of course, the best part about the sunny season — the barbecues. While summer might still officially be a month away, everyone knows that Memorial Day is basically the official kickoff to the season, so what better way to celebrate than with an inaugural barbecue? Here are 20 dishes that definitely need to be a part of the spread.
3. Balsamic Vinegar and Honey Pulled Pork Sliders: If you’re looking for a beef burger alternative, look no further than this simple and delicious pulled pork slider recipe. Top it off with some coleslaw to create one of the yummiest bites you’ll have all summer. (via Prevention RD)
4. No Mayo Coleslaw: Speaking of coleslaw, you might want to give this a try. Scratch that. You need to give this a try. Unlike other coleslaws, this cabbage mixture is super light, but still packs a ton of flavor. (via PBS)
5. Key Lime Grilled Chicken Taco Skewers: Food blogger Little Leopard Book decided to put a twist on a traditional chicken skewer by adding her homemade taco seasoning and some Key limes. The end product is this colorful, tangy dish that’s not only pretty to look at, but delicious to eat. (via Little Leopard Book)
6. Grilled Corn With Chipotle Lime Butter: What’s a BBQ without grilled corn on the cob? Not one we’d ever attend. What truly sets this recipe apart from others is the zesty chipotle lime butter. For more vegetarian BBQ ideas, see other tasty dishes here. (via Delish)
7. American Flag Fruit Pizza: This proud and patriotic dish not only celebrates the holiday, but is pretty healthy for you too. Instead of cream cheese, this fruit pizza calls for Greek yogurt. So really, it’s an international affair. (via Tablespoon)
8. Bourbon and Brown Sugar Barbecue Ribs: Just when you thought you couldn’t love ribs more, you discovered this iteration that uses a homemade bourbon and brown-sugar glaze. It’s the stuff that summer dreams are made of. (via Cooking with Curls)
9. The Best Burger: Food blogger Oh, Sweet Basil shares her two secrets to creating the best hamburger — challah buns and a meat mixture of 60 percent ground chuck and 40 percent brisket. By the looks of her finished product, she knows what she’s talking about. ( via Oh, Sweet Basil)
10. Summer Orzo Pasta Salad: Barbecues aren’t just about heaping amounts of meat. They’re also about beautiful summer pasta salads, like this chickpea, cucumber and tomato orzo dish. For more refreshing pasta salads, click here. (via A Cedar Spoon)
13. Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Hot Dogs: How does one go about elevating their hot dog game? Perhaps by wrapping them in some bacon, tossing on some grilled onions and piling them high with guacamole. Just a thought. (via Port and Fin)
14. Potato Salad with Chive Flowers: Potato salads are not the prettiest dishes, with its starchy lumps and globs of mayonnaise. But that all changes immediately when you add a handful of gorgeous and flavorful chive flowers to the mix. (via Cook Sister)
16. Greek Salad: Treat your palate with a refreshing bite of this crisp mix of olives, cucumbers, peppers and red onions — all the makings of a perfect summer salad. (via Serena Bakes Simply from Scratch)
17. Smokey Baked Beans: Another barbecue staple that should not be overlooked — baked beans, particularly this version from La Creme de la Crumb, which adds a touch of smokiness to balance out the sweetness in the dish. (via La Creme de la Crumb)
18. Super Soft Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies: We know there are lots of other foods to nosh on during a barbecue, but make sure to save room for these extra big, extra fluffy chocolate chip cookies. (via Lovely Little Kitchen)
19.Turkey Zucchini Burgers with Lemon Yogurt Sauce: If you’re looking for a healthier BBQ alternative, this turkey zucchini burger will do the trick, all while satisfying your biggest beef burger cravings. (via The Iron You)
20. Buffalo Wings: There’s something about buffalo wings that incite excitement and fun. Maybe it’s because they’re usually served at parties or perhaps it’s the way the orange sauce sticks to your fingers. Either way, MUST HAVE.
What will you be making for your Memorial Day BBQ? Share your dishes and recipes with us in the comments below!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.