25 Healthier Ways to Make a Potato Salad
When the mercury starts to rise in your favorite weather app, it means one thing: It’s picnic season. And no picnic, BBQ, summer potluck, cookout or… well, you get the point… is complete without potato salad. It’s the ultimate side dish and a definite crowd-pleaser. But it sure can pack on the calories when loaded with mayo and starch. That’s why we’re here to help. With these 25 lightened up recipes, your waistline won’t be hurting after digging in. Grab your fork. You’ll want seconds of these no-dud spuds, and you can go ahead and have them.
1. Healthy Red Potato and Dill Salad: If you haven’t heard by now, Greek yogurt makes one wickedly good substitute for mayonnaise. And that’s just what this blogger uses to lighten up the dressing on this dill-flavored dish. (via Table for Two)
4. Roasted Sweet Potato, Spinach and Grain Salad: You can take the word “salad” literally here. Sweet potato wedges make the ultimate topper to fiber-rich spinach and heart-healthy grains. (via Naturally Ella)
5. Asparagus Potato Salad: This colorful salad has a whole lotta veggie power thanks to the addition of asparagus, chives and shallots. Oh, and it’s also tossed in a healthy mustard vinaigrette. (via Generation Y Foodie)
6. Roasted Potato and Sweet Corn Salad: This summer corn-infused salad carries 100 calories fewer than traditional potato salad. And it’s packed with all the summer flavors, from sweet corn to fresh basil. (via Eat Yourself Skinny)
7. Potato Salad Lite: Okay, if you’re anxious about giving up mayo you don’t necessarily have to do it. Instead, swap out the normal stuff for the light version, and instead of buttermilk use whole or skim to shave off a few grams of fat. Follow these steps, and you’ll have yourself a lightened up bowl. (via Delish)
8. Potato Salad With Apples and Chives: Bet you never thought to add apples to your spuds! Every forkful of this salad has creamy potato salad flavor, with a sweet crunch from fresh apples. Oh, and a serving only costs you 101 calories. (via Skinny Taste)
9. Creamy Potato Salad: You don’t have to sacrifice that beloved creamy texture to go lean. Just follow this recipe, which calls for a tangy dressing of Greek yogurt, lemon and Dijon mustard, and you’ll have all the rich creaminess you want without the cost. (via Souther-In-Law)
10. Potato Salad With Pesto Dressing: In less than the time it takes you to boil your potatoes, you can whip up this creamy pesto dressing. You’ll love the herby flavor it adds to your spuds and the great kick red onion gives your salad. (via Make and Takes)
11. Mustard Potato Salad: This tangy-sweet salad is really fit for your next BBQ. Instead of a creamy white sauce, it’s tossed in a dressing made fresh with wholegrain mustard, Dijon, honey and lemon juice. (via Claire K Creations)
12. Grilled Potato and Arugula Salad: There’s only the tiniest hint of sherry vinegar dressing on this salad; it gets most of its flavor from fresh grilled baby spuds and peppery arugula. (via Love and Lemons)
13. Sweet Potato Pomegranate Salad: So much flavor bursting in every bite! Get your creamy texture from salty feta, sweetness from your potatoes and pomegranates (plus a pomegranate dressing!) and earthy crunch from pepitas. (via Two Peas and Their Pod)
14. Roasted Sweet Potato Salad With Cranberry Chipotle Aioli: This salad is smokin’! From fresh roasted sweet potatoes, to a kickin’ chipotle aioli to some sweet help from cranberry sauce, this savory, smokey salad can be served any time of year. (via Eats Well with Others)
15. Roasted Rosemary Potato Salad: It’s amazing how a little rosemary can go a long way. This salad doesn’t need any creamy dressing after the grilled veggies get a toss in a rosemary-garlic blend and a light touch of vinegar. (via BHG)
16. Grilled Sweet Potato Salad: By now it’s no secret. One of the most surefire ways to skinny-up your potato salad is by subbing in sweet potatoes. Try it with this grilled potato salad (you’ll love the sweet caramelized char on the potatoes!) loaded with Southwestern beans, corn, avocado and cilantro. (via Two Peas and Their Pod)
19. Summer Veggie Potato Salad: This gorgeous salad is swoon worthy. The balsamic mustard vinaigrette and fresh basil take fresh veggies over the top. And did we mention the feta? Yeah, there’s feta. (via Eat Yourself Skinny)
20. Skinny Bacon Potato Salad: Whoever said skinny meant skipping bacon was talking crazy! We can prove it: This bacon-loaded potato salad (it’s dressed with Italian vinaigrette) has a ton of flavor but will keep you in your skinny jeans. (via Family Fresh Cooking)
21. Veggie Potato Salad: There’s no need for two salads now. This potato salad also has all the nutritious veggies you crave, from green beans and carrots, to celery and radishes — and only half the calories of traditional potato salad. (via My Recipes)
22. Herbed Potato Salad: New potatoes get a healthy coating of a shallot-Dijon vinaigrette in this healthy hack! We really love how the herby flavor from the fresh tarragon and dill marries so well with the tangy, oniony dressing. (via Chow)
23. Grilled Red Pepper Potato Salad: Sweet fire-roasted peppers and scallions are the perfect addition to any potato salad. And the no-guilt parsley-basil vinaigrette makes this one a healthy rock star. (via Grill Grrrl)
25. Roasted Garlic and Bacon Potato Salad: Garlic and bacon… do we really need to say more? This salad weighs in at about 100 calories fewer than your usual recipe and packs in a lot more flavor from fresh garlic, caramelized onions and, yes, bacon. (via Repurposed Life)
Love your spuds? Share your favorite potato salad recipes below!
Our undergarments might have taken a backseat in 2020, but with a new year upon us, we're feeling inspired to reprioritize our most intimate clothing layer — especially in time for Valentine's Day. Because hey, what better way to kickstart a season of self-love than by treating yourself to a confidence-boosting set of lingerie?