5 Best Apps of the Week: An App to Make You a Badass Networker + More!
Networking is like kale. You know it’s good for you and you’re a grown woman (as Bey would say) but you’ll try anything to make it more appealing. Consider one of the downloads in this roundup of the best apps of the week, the kale chip solution to your networking needs. Beyond that, there is an app for your finances, an app to get your butt out of bed and a next-level video editor. We even have the most beautiful game that ever tried to teach you about coding. It is Saturday after all… Happy downloading, fellow app fiends!
1. Penny: A coworker sent this to me and called it “like Mint but easier.” After closer inspection, I would say Penny is a cute personal finance coach who acts less like big brother and more like helpful older sister who has a degree in accounting, texting you charts, graphs and FYIs about the state of your personal finances. Banking should already be this easy but until it is Penny could be your secret weapon to whip your accounts into shape.
2. Walk Me Up Alarm Clock: If that automatic nine minute snooze isn’t working for you anymore, download this iPhone app that will actually wake your butt up by first kicking it out of bed. When this alarm goes off, you have to get up and walk around, turning off the alarm only after you’ve reached a certain number of steps. Set a limit on snoozes or disable them altogether (in the cleverly named “Evil Mode” :( to make sure you get to work/class on time for once.
DL It: Free on iOS
3. Flow: Become a regular Kathryn Bigelow-in-training with an app that encourages you to get creative with those expert amateur videos you’re shooting on smartphone or GoPro. Flow lets you control the speed of your videos, apply Instagram-like filters and even a soundtrack. Bonus: You can even zero in on the best frame to save a second of the footage as a still image.
DL It: $1.99 on iOS
4. LinkedIn Lookup: LinkedIn’s latest download will help you maneuver the oft-awkward (or maybe just long overdue) world of getting to know your coworkers on a professional level. A hiring manager or new employee’s BFF, this app will let you search for people at your co and display their skills and contact info so you can get to know them or contact them easier than ever. For someone in the startup world, it may seem unnecessary, but for someone in a much larger company, this could be a time saver that will ultimately replace the old school directory.
DL It: Free on iOS
5. The Everything Machine: While we love apps that make life easier and more efficient, once in a while we love a good download that is fun, well-designed AND educational. Tinybop nails all of that every time, consistently crafting apps for kids that the big kids in their life want to play too. The latest is The Everything Machine. Touted as their first maker app for little ones, this download uses a basic visual programming language to teach making and coding in a way you haven’t given a shot yet in your adding this must-have skill to your #girlboss utility belt.
DL It: $2.99 on iOS
What was your favorite app of the week? Share your thoughts with us below or Tweet us @britandco!