Oh, sweet nostalgia. The great thing about our senses is that they can instantly transport us to a simpler time in our lives. Like how the flavor of Fruit Loops and Saturday morning cartoons go hand in hand. As an adult, your breakfast probably consists of healthy options like an insta-worthy layer smoothie instead of sugary cereal, but that doesn’t mean we can’t indulge in a few ’90s recipes every now and then! You may have seen a few cereal dessert recipes (holy Lucky Charms cannoli), but nothing makes you feel like a kid again quite like a cupcake. Take a look at these 12 cereal-inspired cupcakes that will provoke some serious yearning for the past.
1. Bottom of the Cereal-Box Cupcakes: Trix doesn’t have to be just for kids. Utilize what you already have in your pantry with boxed cake mix and those bottom-of-the-box bits of cereal to make these cupcakes. To create the rainbow frosting, simply streak food coloring on the inside of your piping bag before adding the frosting. (via Tablespoon)
2. Cereal Milk Cupcakes: Don’t let the prospect of cooking with cereal scare you; the subtly sweet and salty flavor that cereal-infused milk lends to this dessert is great for beginners and experts alike. Garnish with a few pieces of your favorite cereal to let everyone know what’s inside. (via Crumb Kitchen)
3. Chocolate Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cupcakes: Let’s be real — chocolate cupcakes are the ones to beat. But with an added sugar dip and Chocolate Cinnamon Toast Crunch, these will give your go-to recipe a run for its money. They’re basically childhood in handheld dessert form. (via Sugar and Soul)
4. Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cupcakes: Alternatively, if OG Cinnamon Toast Crunch is your jam, these cupcakes are right up your alley. The cereal is ground into crumbs and folded into the frosting, ensuring you taste it in every bite. (via Mom.me)
5. Chocolate Cereal Cupcakes: Cocoa Puffs arguably make the best cereal milk, so they probably make the best cupcakes as well. The batter is light and airy, which is great for balancing the richness of the chocolate cereal frosting. (via Safran Gourmand)
6. Fruity Pebble Cupcakes: Once you make these cupcakes, you’ll want to keep your cupboard stocked with kiddie cereal forever… besides for the occasional midnight snack. The light and flaky texture of Fruity Pebbles incorporates into the cupcake texture seamlessly and adds a beautiful pop of color. (via Sweetest Menu)
7. Golden Graham Cupcakes: Golden Grahams are a versatile cereal that would go with multiple different cupcake recipes. If you prefer chocolate to vanilla, you could make a s’mores cupcake with marshmallow frosting and chocolate cake. (via Your Cup of Cake)
8. Honey Nut Cheerio Cupcakes: A lightly sweetened honey cupcake serves as the perfect base for Honey Nut Cheerio buttercream. Kids will go crazy for these, but the adults may just love them even more. (via Bakerita)
9. Lucky Charms Cupcakes: If there’s cereal in your cupcakes, that SO means you can eat them for breakfast. If you go for a simple white frosting and top it with the cereal you used in the cupcake, it looks like they’re floating in a chilly bowl of milk. (via The Novice Chef)
10. Toasted Corn Flakes Cupcakes With Cereal Milk Pipettes: The next time you host brunch, you have got to make these cupcakes for dessert. If you want to be regarded as the queen of domesticity, that is. Before eating, guests will squeeze the cereal milk pipette into the cupcake and enjoy the moist and fluffy cereal goodness. (via Sprinkle Bakes)
11. Vanilla Bean Rice Krispie Treat Cupcakes: Snap, crackle and pop your way into everyone’s hearts with these drool-worthy cupcakes. Most people love Rice Krispie Treats, so these would be a safe bet for just about any occasion. (via Culinary Concoctions by Peabody)
12. Reese’s Puffs Cupcakes: Chocolate and peanut butter lovers will rejoice for these cupcakes. Light devil’s food cake gets a rich upgrade with chocolate ganache and PB buttercream, topped with Reese’s Puffs cereal for that last bit of crunch. (via Your Cup of Cake)
Follow us on Pinterest for more easy + delicious recipe ideas.