Celebrate Cinco de Mayo With These 14 Zesty Salsas
One of the main ingredients for a successful Cinco de Mayo-themed party is a full selection of salsas ranging from mild to blow-a-fuse spicy. Whether you’re scooping them on your favorite tortilla chips, loading up tacos, or pouring them over nachos, salsa is the glue that holds together your fiesta. To ensure that your celebration is the best of the best, keep reading for 14 zesty salsas you *need* on your spread.
1. Grilled Pineapple-Poblano Salsa: In order to add a not-so-subtle smokiness to your salsa, be sure to utilize your grill. The char will slightly soften the spiciness of the peppers and add a wonderful flavor dimension to the pineapple. (via Chili Pepper Madness)
2. Wicked Hot Chipotle Chile Pequin Salsa: Virgin palates, beware! Just because pequin chiles are teeny tiny doesn’t mean they won’t light you on fire. If spicy is your game, then this wicked hot salsa is for you. (via Mexican Please)
3. Cowboy Caviar: For the mild salsa lovers, cowboy caviar will be more your speed. The mishmash of beans, corn, bell peppers, tomatoes, and red onion would be a tasty addition to any salsa bar. (via Culinary Hill)
5. Creamy Jalapeño and Avocado Salsa: Whether you have a nightshade allergy or you’re just not a fan of tomatoes, this creamy dip will get you back in the salsa game. Top with scallions and queso fresco for a bit of extra flavor on your chip. (via Fusion Craftiness)
6. Mexican Street Corn Salsa: Street corn is one of the most beloved dishes in Mexican cuisine. It only makes sense to take the sweet corn off of the cob to create an addicting salsa of the same name. (via Three Olives Branch)
7. Salsa Del Fuego: Just by reading the name of this salsa, you probably think that it’ll have a fiery bite — you’re right. Habaneros and serranos are to blame, meaning you should take caution when handling the chili peppers. (via Mexican Please)
8. Roasted Tomatillo Salsa: If plain tomatillo salsa is a little lackluster for your taste, this smokey version might just change your mind. It’s as easy as roasting the tomatoes, tomatillos, onions, and garlic on a sheet pan, then giving them a quick blitz in the food processor. (via Bunsen Burner Bakery)
9. Mango Cucumber Salsa: This refreshing salsa gets a sweet tang from the mango and a slight heat from jalapeños that won’t make you sweat. Serve with crispy plantain chips for a fun alternative to your usual scoops. (via Whisk Affair)
10. Peach and Black Bean Salsa: Instead of using fresh chopped peppers to impart a little heat, this peach and black bean salsa has a sprinkle of ancho chili powder and cayenne. If you prefer things on the spicier side, feel free to add finely minced jalapeño to the mix. (via Cadry’s Kitchen)
11. Pineapple Salsa: Not only is this pineapple salsa a feast for your belly, but it’s a feast your eyes. Serve in a hollowed-out pineapple and your Cinco de Mayo guests will be stunned at your presentation. (via The Gunny Sack)
12. Roasted Tomato Salsa: Proceed with this recipe only if your tomatoes are perfectly ripe and in-season. If not, fire-roasted canned tomatoes are a fab substitute since they’re packaged at their peak. (via Gimme Some Oven)
13. Strawberry Jalapeño Salsa: On your next trip to the farmers’ market, stock up on juicy strawberries for this sweet and spicy salsa. If you don’t want to serve with chips, try spooning this one over chicken or fish. (via The View from Great Island)
Follow us on Pinterest for more Cinco de Mayo recipe ideas.