10 Cocktail Recipes for Cinco De Mayo
Cinco de Mayo is fast approaching. We've given you countless ways to enjoyamargarita, but if last year's rowdy Cinco de Drinko celebration has you swearing off that green-tinted drink, these 10 cocktail recipes highlight all the merriment of the Mexican holiday without even a mention of a classic 'rita. These beverages celebrate the best flavors and traditions of Mexico, are simple to make and are uber refreshing. And as delicious as these drinks are on their own, they're muy bueno when enjoyed outdoors with a piñata stick in hand.
1. Cuba Libre: Although this drink is technically Cuban, it’s a fave with locals living la vida loca in Mexico City. Crafted with lime and Coke made with cane sugar, this lip-smacking recipe gets a little help from bitters for a combination that’s downright addictive. (via PDX Food Love)
2. Iced Mexican Coffee: If you’re going to start your Cinco celebration early, you’ll need a dose of caffeine. What better way to enjoy it than with some traditional Mexican flair? This iced coffee gets kicked up a notch with cinnamon, cream, coffee liqueur and cloves. (via Girl Cooks World)
3. Michelada: Beer cocktails are serious crowd-pleasers, and this version is as simple to make as it is smooth to drink. The stellar combination of Mexican beer, tangy lime and silky tomato juice is incredibly satisfying and surprisingly refreshing. (via Andy + Belle)
4. Blood Orange + Thyme Paloma: The combination of bold tequila and blood orange juice is nothing short of magical. A traditional Mexican drink, this cocktail is even more appropriate for Cinco de Mayo as it takes on a celebratory pink hue and usually is served in a salt-rimmed glass. Think of it as margarita’s prettier cousin. (via The Life Styled)
5. Lave Flow Cocktail: Although it might look like a fruity margarita at first glance, this frozen drink takes the bold flavors of coconut and strawberry and mixes them with white rum. The result is a refreshing drink that will take your brain on a vacation just before it freezes it. (via The Chic Site)
7. Cilantro Jalapeño Limeade: If you’re seeking a virgin beverage, you can’t go wrong with this twist on traditional limeade. The spicy and savory notes of the jalapeño and cilantro make this drink feel very grown up. Don’t miss a chance to garnish with cilantro leaves! (via Steak ‘n’ Potatoes Kinda Gurl)
8. Pineapple Cilantro Serrano Cocktail: Taking a booze cue from the margarita, this cocktail utilizes tequila, but there’s nothing else traditional about this concoction. We’re suckers for serrano, and this spicy elixir features a couple more favorite flavors — cilantro and pineapple. (via Cookie + Kate)
10. Pineapple Arugula Mojito: Forget everything you ever thought about arugula, because the ultimate way to enjoy this green is not in a salad but in a cocktail. This surprising combination of produce and rum is sure to make it your next go-to summer drink. (via Baked Bree)
Will these drinks do the trick this May? Let us know in the comments below!