How to Host an Amazing Clothing Swap With Friends
Just about everybody we know has “get organized” on their New Year’s resolution list. The best place to start is your closet. It’s time to get organized and a big part of that means a purge. You’ve probably got a ton of clothes lying around that just aren’t getting the love they deserve. Why not give yourself some motivation to get cleaning and host a clothing swap party for all your besties? Some of our favorite items of clothing are pieces that came from the BFF Boutique and we bet their closets are hiding some gems for you too.
1. Invite people who wear the same size clothes (and shoes): Since the goal is to help find new homes for items, make sure that people can actually fit into the items that you’re trying to swap around. If items are too small or large to share, then it wont be fun for anyone.
2. Encourage quality over quantity: The best clothing swaps happen when people bring cute, on-trend items that just don’t work for them. Maybe you’ve worn a shirt to death, but it’s still totally stylish — it could be your bestie’s new fave top. Everyone should be encouraged to curate items and bring clean, nicely pressed clothes. Unless it’s a holiday-themed party, that means guests should leave their ugly Christmas sweaters at home.
3. Don’t limit your invitees by style: Clothing swaps are an easy place to try on items that you may never have gravitated towards in a store, but now have the freedom to try on. You may discover new ways to style your preppy best friend’s accessories or your boho-chic co-worker’s shoe collection.
4. Don’t limit yourself to just clothes: Jewelry, sunglasses, bags and hats all make amazing swap items, because size is not an issue. Items that are gathering dust for you might be just what your friends need to spice up their wardrobes.
5. Arrange the clothes nicely as people arrive: Place hangers around the room (bonus points if you’ve got a rolling rack). Set out cute dishes for accessories and clear off a little table for folded goods. Turning your living room into a showroom will make the whole thing feel more like shopping at a fancy boutique.
6. Have a Plan B: There will probably be some clothes leftover after the swap. Make sure to drop them off at your local Goodwill, or trade them in for credit off your next purchase at Cuyana. As part of their lean closet movement, if you order one of their products, they will send you a bag to fill with donations and give you a credit for your next order for sending the stuff back in.
Have you hosted a clothing swap before? Got any more tips for us? Let us know in the comments below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)