We all have our ways of dealing with stress, but sometimes you just want to turn your mind off and unwind (Candy Crush, anyone?). It turns out that your childhood collection of Crayolas may have been on to something when it comes to dealing with those day-to-day worries. Coloring has been found to be the perfect creative outlet to shake off everyday stress. Check out these adult coloring books and get ready to unwind.
1. ’90s Pop Divas Coloring Book ($10): We would have totally stored this ’90s coloring book in our Lisa Frank Trapper Keepers. This coloring book of our dreams includes Destiny’s Child, Alanis Morissette, Britney Spears and tons more.
2. Fashion Coloring Book ($16): If fashion is more your forte, you’ll die over all 96 pages of this coloring book. Act as your own designer, create your own patterns and scribble away the stress.
3. The Mindfulness Colouring Book: Anti-Stress Art Therapy for Busy People ($7): If your schedule is a little tight, this book may be your new BFF. It’s pocket sized, full of intricate patterns and a great way to eliminate stress ASAP.
4. Day of the Dead Coloring Book ($8): Don’t wait until November to celebrate this colorful Mexican holiday. We love the idea of coloring in sugar skulls after a particularly trying work day.
5. Funny Ladies Coloring Book ($10): We love indulging in a good New Girl binge as much as the next gal, but when the stress waves really hit, we need to kick our creative drives into high gear. This book contains all of our favorite funny gals, from Amy Poehler to Zooey Deschanel.
6. Mad Men Coloring Book ($10): If you’re still mourning the end of Mad Men, this coloring book may be your perfect rebound. Relive all of your favorite moments from the show (Betty and the neighbor’s birds, FTW) with 42 pages of black and white Mad Men goodness.
7. Entwined: A Coloring Book for Adults ($11): This coloring book contains 20 illustrations inspired by vintage lace and hand-painted Turkish tiles — perfect for when you just want to zone out and create your own colorful pattern.
8. Just Add Color: Mid-Century Modern Patterns ($11): If the Mad Men coloring book isn’t enough to satisfy your love for all things ’60s, we recommend opening a box of crayons and coloring in these pages.
9. Therapy In Color ($25): This coloring book has been a favorite of everyone from celebrities to therapists, and for good reason. The concept is to release tension and uplift the spirit. No need to wait until you get home to crack open this coloring book; we are planning on stashing it in our work bags for unwinding emergencies.
10. Colour Me Good: Benedict Cumberbatch ($11): If you need to pass the time between Sherlock seasons (three episodes in a season, really?!), this coloring book may be the perfect way to keep your Cumberbatch obsession alive until the next season.
11. Coloring Outside the Kitchen: Need a good dose of girl power with your art therapy? This book contains 23 line drawings of #girlbosses, from Frida Kahlo to Michelle Obama.
12. The Mandala Coloring Book ($12): Mandalas are universally used to promote healing and relaxation, so we need to order this book, like… yesterday!
13. Just Add Color: Botanicals ($11): Having trouble keeping your houseplants alive? Take advantage of your black thumb and display your colored-in botanical pages instead!
How do you color away the stress? Share in the comments!