6 Creative Design Concepts for New Parents
We live for creative projects that celebrate the funky, freaky and weird ways our brains function. Take for instance IDEO’s Designs On— projects. Each year, the firm that coined the terms “design thinking” and “creative confidence” chooses a topic to explore in a design playground of their wildest imaginations. A couple of years ago, that topic was birth. We’re a little baby crazy around these parts these days, so we had to share six of our favorite faux products in all their glory for you dads and moms-to-be. The ideas are sweet, snarky and, surprisingly to us, could actually be pretty useful.
1. Baby Phone: Condition your kiddo before he or she is out of the womb to get used to spending countless hours on the phone with you on a daily basis. Then, when they head off to school, picking up the cell and dialing your digits will be ingrained in their soul.
2. Dad T-Shirt: If there’s one way men like to communicate their thoughts, beliefs and feelings, it’s via a t-shirt. This one lets any Pops write down his excuses, explanations and feelings on a piece of fabric and proudly wear them across his chest.
3. Deliver Casual: Another one for the frantic father, this kit comes complete with whiskey to calm your nerves, leather gloves for dads to drive more steadily to the hospital and pre-completed hospital forms.
4. Labor: We have to say our favorite of all might be the IKEA-inspired manual on how the entire process of having a kid must be “assembled,” from conception to making room in the new household. But if you’ve ever read an IKEA instruction book before — well, let’s just say you might not get this right the first time.
5. Dice: The Magic 8-Ball of the birthing world, this hilarious set of dice predicts what your new kid may look or be like. While there’s nothing scientific or accurate about this, when you’re dealing with all those baby preparations, sometimes a little laughter is just what the doctor ordered.
6. What I Am Made Of Onesie: From 8% oranges to 2% croissants and less guac than our future offspring will be made of, this rainbow-hued onesie graphs out exactly what went into your little one while he was a part of you for those nine months.
What do you think of Designs On— birth series? Funny and cute or what? Tell us your thoughts below.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)