25 Inventive DIY Phone Cases
A while back we featured our favorite cases for folks who love to make things, but what about cases you can actually make? Many of these cases are specific to iPhone but the methods could easily be applied to all sorts of different phone cases, tablet covers, and the like. Here are 25 inventive ways to create your own one-of-a-kind case for your partner in crime, your phone!
1. Nautical Anchor Case: Got a thing for the life aquatic? You’ll always be ready to set sail with this as your case. This tutorial shows how to use a Silhouette die-cutting printer to create an anchor, but you could also try using an xacto knife or look for vinyl decals to achieve a similar look. (via 36th Avenue)
2. Stud Case: We have yet to find a surface we don’t want to cover with studs. We love studs on totessandals, shirts, and now iPhone cases! This tutorial employs sheets of studs rather than traditional ones making them easy to glue on. (via I Spy DIY)
5. Repurposed Glitz Cases: Rolling in extra tinsel and glitter from a recent birthday party or late night dance party? Put that glitz to good use with a little Mod Podge and your phone. (via Design Sponge)
6. Map Cases: First, cue up Maps by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Now that you’re grooving, how fun are these map cases? These are made by cutting a map to size and placing under a clear phone case. Genius! (via Maps Blog)
7. Geometric Printable Templates: Now that we’re on the topic of clear case hacks, these geometric templates are a great series to print and rotate when you need to mix things up. (via See That There)
11. Pearl Case: On the insanely girly end of the spectrum, we have a case that any material girl would love to rock. Using old clip ons and costume pearls, this bulky case can be all yours. It might be on the too-far end of the spectrum but we have to give props for getting seriously girly. (via Sydne Style)
14. Fabric Case: This is another one that employs the clear case technique. Simply cut a piece of fabric to size and place in between your phone and a clear phone case. Done! (via Boat People Boutique)
17. Leather Envelope Case: For something a little more bespoke, create your own leather envelope with this handy tutorial and template. We love the idea of using fun prints and contrast stitching to mix things up. (via Design Sponge)
22. Spray Paint Lace Case: In this tutorial, you’ll see how to use lace as a stencil. The results? Very boudoir! ;) *Update: Melissa’s blog is no longer live, but you can see the steps for creating this case on The Huffington Post. (via Look What Melissa Made)
24. Sharpie Tribal Print: Why use fabrics and prints when you can create your own gorgeous pattern? This is definitely on the more labor intensive side and takes a bit of precision, but would be a fun project while catching up on Nashville. (via Unexpected Expectations)
25. Cross Stitch Case: This awesome kit comes with a silicone case with holes prepunched for your needle to go through, a guide to help you get started, 7 colors of thread, a needed, and a needle threader. We’ve always loved these little guys because the possibilities are endless. (via Amazon)
Have you ever made your own phone case? Will you try any of the tutorials above? Talk to us in the comments below.