The Best, Easiest Roasted Broccoli Recipe Ever
Roasted broccoli is a staple ’round these parts, so it’s one vegetable we always make sure to have on hand for last-minute weeknight dinners (foil packet, anyone?) or days when we’re craving a little more green in our diets. You can even find fresh pre-cut florets in the produce aisle, making it even easier to get a side of roasted broccoli on the table. There are a few secrets to making sure that yours comes out perfect every time.
It’s okay to let your veggies get a little brown when you roast them; in fact, with this recipe, the crispy brown broccoli bits are the best part, especially with a sprinkle of salt and a squeeze of lemon juice to lend a helping hand. All you need is about 20 minutes and a hot oven, and you just might find yourself falling in love with a veggie that was waiting for you all along.
Easy Roasted Broccoli
(Serves 4 as a side)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 10 ounces broccoli florets (roughly 1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes pepper
- juice of half a lemon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Drizzle a sheet pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place it in the oven while the oven preheats.
- In a large bowl, toss the broccoli with the remaining oil, salt, crushed red chili flakes, and pepper to taste.
- With an oven mitt, take the sheet pan out of the oven and add the broccoli in a single layer.
- Roast for 15 minutes, then flip the broccoli and cook for another 5 minutes. Don’t be scared if they’re getting a little brown — those bits are crispy and totally delicious.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Sprinkle the lemon juice over the hot broccoli, and taste a piece to see if you want more salt or pepper. Enjoy!
While this broccoli is a stand-out side dish on its own, you can also…
Once you realize how easy it is to churn out roasted broccoli on the regs, you’ll be able to pull it out whenever your meal needs a boost of big green flavor.
(Recipe and photos via Justina Huddleston / Brit + Co)